Chapter 10

~Asher's POV~

My fur rustled in the cool night air as I padded through the woods. I felt someone probe at the edge of my mind while I walked but quickly closed myself off. The momentary silence was replaced with the sounds of the forest as it's nocturnal creatures moved about. Just as I liked it. There was no one but me and mother nature.

I had slipped away before the others could notice. Well, besides Riley and Fallon who I told the moment I began to smell food. Those two knew why I wanted to hunt rather than be with everyone. The others wouldn't, but they would probably find out. Part of me felt guilty, but I didn't want their pity. I couldn't eat their human food---wouldn't allow myself to---and I defiantly didn't want the awkward silence to drape over the room when they realize that something was wrong with me.

The other two were fine. They weren't defective like I was and I didn't sense any ill intentions from the pack. Though I could not bring myself to fully trust them, I knew Riley and Fallon could. They would benefit from staying and I would do anything for them, even keeping to the shadows, protecting from a distance like I always have. Cold and detached so that they wouldn't come to more harm because I cared for them. 

Clearing my mind, I focused on what I came out here to do: hunt.

Over the years I had become a proficient hunter, easily finding and stalking my prey until the inevitable kill. Though I took pride in my skills, I did not relish in the act of killing. I did what I needed to do to survive. I didn't like needless violence. I was exposed to it enough in life.

I stood still, the scent of rabbit drifting to me. It was fresh.

It surprised me that a rabbit was out at night. I allowed my senses to guide me, my paws silent as I made my way through the woods. The scent got stronger the further I went and in no time I spotted the fluffy creature.

I watched as it periodically stood up, nervously looking around before going back to scavenging for food.

Even you realize that you shouldn't be out here. I gave a silent sigh, resigned to what needed to be done.

I struck, my jaws closing around the helpless creature's neck, delivering an instant death before it had any time to react. I sent a word of thanks before leaning down to devour the rabbit.

Long after I had finished the rabbit I still sat there, watching the stars, listening to the forest and all its inhabitants. The taste of its blood was still in my mouth, my taste buds enjoying it each time I ran my tongue along the back of my teeth.

I did not know how much time passed as I gazed at the stars, but I was content just sitting there. My attention was drawn to the snap of a twig behind me. I knew who it was. I sensed him approach long before I could hear him.

I turned my head, looking at the man who stirred things inside me that I could not name. His eyes shined in the dark and his face showed that he was nervous but it also showed relief. He smiled as he caught sight of me.

"I'm so glad I found you..." He whispered, barely loud enough for me to hear.

I wouldn't have left. He let lose a sigh, moving towards me.

"They said you wouldn't. I... I was just over thinking things." He ran his hand through his hair as he sat down, not looking at me. Instead, he chose to gaze at the stars.

I took this time to study him. He was what one would call handsome I suppose. I'm sure he had many lusting after him. The thought made my chest hurt for some reason. I barely knew him. He barely knew me. So why was he worried? I was no one and meant nothing. I was worthless.