01.

Mia had never seen her best friend look like she currently did

Mia had never seen her best friend look like she currently did. It tore the brunette into pieces, seeing the pale face of the blonde. The blonde laid flat in her bed, her eyes closed, tubes in her mouth to help her breath and get the nutrients she needed. It killed her seeing her best friend so broken and motionless.

She still didn't know what exactly had happened to her. Mia, along with everyone else, was told it was a bear attack. The brunette didn't believe it once. A bear wouldn't drain a person of most of their blood and the person would definitely have more than a single bite mark. It wasn't a bear, and Mia swore she'd figure out what exactly caused this. Even if it was the last thing she did.

Her eyes roamed over the girl in the bed, before darting to the boy in the chair next to the bed. Mia knew after the first time  seeing Paul's eyes on her best friend, that the male was completely in love with the blonde. Seeing him now, refusing to leave her side even once, made the brunette smile softly. She never thought she'd see the day, when Paul Lahote would be completely in love with a single girl. She had watched him go from girl to girl most of their high school lives. She never thought that the person to one day tame him would be her best friend.

Mia knew he was the one for her bestfriend, even if they hadn't even finished high school yet. The brunette knew the two would be together forever, and no one else could replace either of them.

Turning back to her friend, Mia took the other seat in the room, reaching out to hold her best friends hand. The brunette felt broken, seeing her best friend like this and wondering what type of pain she was probably going though. In her head she could see the blonde tossing and turning, groaning loudly in pain. But in reality, her best friend laid flat and unmoving in the hospital bed. The beeping of the heart monitor is the only thing that gave the brunette assurance that her friend was still alive. Everything else about her screamed death. Her pale - paler than normal - skin, her chapped and cracked lips, the greasy look her hair was gaining from being dirty for so long. It terrified her.

She wanted to speak to her friend, beg her to stay alive and continue to love with her. She wanted to tell her how things had been the last week of school, tell her all about the tantrum Eve had thrown. Yet she kept her mouth shut, the lump in her throat growing the more she stared at the image of her beautiful best friend.

The longer she stared the harder it became to breath. She felt like the walls were closing in on her, and the beeping from the heart monitor was getting louder. She didn't understand how Paul was sitting here staring at Grace so intently. Her heart was racing and she felt like she was going to be sick. It hurt seeing her friend like this. They had been best friends since they were in diapers.

Their mothers had been best friends when they were younger, they had grown up in Forks together and met their husbands in the res together. Mia didn't know a life were Grace didn't exist. The blonde had been her rock for as long as the brunette could remember. Nothing made sense without Grace. They were two peas in a pod. Two best friends that turned to each other for just about everything.

Quickly the pressure became too much and Mia hurried out of the room, trying her hardest to push back her tears. Her best friend didn't look alive and Mia felt herself dying just seeing it. It was too much for her to handle at the moment.

Mia exited the hospital, hurrying home feeling like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. Her heart was racing when she entered her home, making a quick dash to her room. The brunette was quick to calm her breathing and force the tears away. She was strong. Stronger than others knew.

Mia grabbed her laptop, placing herself on her bed she set to work searching for anything that could help her learn what truly happened to her best friend.

The first thing she searched was bear attacks, reading through the injuries the cases reported. Almost all of them were the same - slashes throughout most of the body, major bloodloss, near death. Grace only had two of those injuries. But in bear attacks, the two injuries Grace had were due to the first injury. Grace didn't have slashes on most of her body, hell the blonde didn't have a single slash on her body.

The brunette continued her search, looking to see if there were any other injuries associated with bear attacks. After a while she found nothing of importance, nothing that would help her search. Finally she began to search just the injuries Grace had. The same things kept popping up, annoying the brunette beyond belief.

A loud knock from the front door, startled the annoyed brunette. Pulling her away from the article she was reading about vampires. It was the only result popping up, so she had decided to go along with the ridiculous idea and read an article. Moving her laptop to her desk, the brunette made her way out of her room.

Embry Call stood on the otherside of the door, giving her a small smile when she opened the door. Oddly, Mia felt happy when her eyes met his, something completely foreign when she looked at guys. She had always been a stick to yourself kind of person, besides Grace she didn't venture off with others.

She looked at him confused, wondering why he was standing on her front porch, a small smile on his face. She figured he would have been with Grace, after all he was also her best friend. If Grace wasn't with Mia, she was with Embry. While Grace and herself were two peas in a pod. Embry and Grace were the dynamic duo.

"Hello?" The brunette questioned, not hiding her confusion.

"Hi," Embry was hesitant. She could hear it clearly in his voice.

"Why are you here?" Mia wondered again, not hiding her confusion. It had been a week or two since the two had truly spoke, Prom had been the last time. The two hadn't gone as dates, yet they had spent the night dancing together as if they were dates.

"Um," Embry casted a glance behind him, rubbing the back of his neck. "I wanted to see how you were doing?" It sounded like a question, confusing the brunette even more.

"Uh," Mia, rubbed her arm. "Why don't you come in?" She stepped back, allowing him to enter. She led him into the living room, the two sitting with space between them. "I'm fine." Mia answered after a few moments of silence.

"Really?" Embry questioned, the doubt ringing loudly. He didn't believe her, and she couldn't blame him for it.

"I'll be fine Em," she said, forcing the truth out annoyed. She wasn't weak. She didn't even catch the nickname slip.

Embry watched her with a small smile, "You know it's okay to be upset or cry." When she ignored him, he continued, "I hate seeing her like that. She's not moving and she looks dead and it kills me."

Mia turned away, pursing her lips before nodding ever-so-slightly, "It kills me." She finally answered, her voice a broken whisper. "It wasn't a bear." She added, coughing slightly to get rid of the broken voice. "I know it wasn't. I've been researching."

Embry looked at her confused, his eyes wide, "what, Mia the doctors already said it was a bear."

Mia shot him an annoyed look, confused and angry. She stood to her feet, walking away from the couch and Embry, "bears don't do what happened to Grace. Yes, there is significant bloodloss, but her skin would be slashed. She would have tears and be bleeding from wounds all over her body. No, instead she has the smallest bite marks on her neck. Marks that wouldn't even be left behind from a mosquito."

Embry shook his head, standing up to speak when she cut him off once again, "something attacked my best friend and left her for dead, and it certainly wasn't a bear. I'm going to find out who did this, I promised her I would."