12.

She paced across the room restlessly, running her fingers through her hair each time she passed Grace

She paced across the room restlessly, running her fingers through her hair each time she passed Grace. The blonde watched the brunette with an eyebrow raised, wishing she would stop her pacing. The brunette was a bundle of nerves, clinching her fist at her side as she halted her movement. "I don't like this," she faced the blonde, crossing her arms in aggravation.

"We don't really have a choice," Grace responded, giving the newly turned wolf a small smile.

The she Wolf grunted, moving till she was laying across the bed beside the blonde, "I'm going to skin him alive." Mia stated, glaring up at the ceiling. Embry had forced her to stay with Grace, using things that he knew would make the brunette feel guilty to keep her with the blonde. At the time she fell for it, but now as she spent the passing day beside Grace, she realized what he did. It irritated her in ways she wasn't sure he could irritate her lately.

The past few hours since she phased and imprinted on him had been some of the best of her life. They spent it together, making memories that would last their whole life. She had been in heaven, nobody else could ever make her feel the way Embry made her feel. Nobody could love her more then Embry could. Nobody could except all the flaws she carried the way Embry accepted them. He was her wolf and she was his.

"No you won't," Grace stated, looking at the brunette. "You love him too much."

Mia huffed, crossing her arms over chest stubbornly, "Why do you have to know me so well?"

Grace rolled her eyes, "We grew up together, it would be surprising if I didn't know you so well."

The brunette sighed, a part of her hating how well the blonde knew her while another part loved it beyond belief. It brought her comfort knowing that someone really cared about her enough to learn all her little things. It made her smile knowing that Grace was her forever friend. It made her happy knowing everything would be okay, even if it truly wasn't.

"Remember the first time Eve ever said anything to me?" Grace questioned.

"Yeah I put that bitch in her place," Mia stated with a smirk. "Even in kindergarten people knew not to mess with me."

Grace laughed softly, shifting her position, "you always had my back and protected me."

"'Had'?" Mia raised an eyebrow leaning back on her elbows as she looked down at Grace. "I still do." The female snorted, laying back flat against the bed.

"You shouldn't have to," Grace stated.

"It's kinda my job," Mia shrugged slightly. "Not just because of this newfound wolf thing, but also the best friend thing."

"You do it all the time though," Grace responded. "Maybe it's time to let someone protect you."

Mia watched Grace as she sat up, the blonde turning to look at the brunette, "I do let people take care of me." Mia stated.

Grace shot Mia a blank look, "rarely, and when you do it's reluctantly." Mia knrw5her words were the truth, yet the female tried her hardest to deny them. She didn't want them to be the truth. She wanted to be a girl that allowed other to protect her or care for her, as well as the girl that could take care of her self. But she was stubborn and she disliked feeling weak.

The female was silent, deciding not to answer as the two laid across the bed staring at the ceiling. A howl in the distance stole the brunettes attention, the female sitting up quickly. With furrowed eyebrows, she darted to her feet slipping her converse on her feet.

"What's wrong?" Grave watched the brunette in worry.

"The fight is over," Grace quickly followed Mia's footsteps, slipping her own shoes on. "We need to get to Jacob's." The urgency in Mia's voice scared Grace. The two rushed out of Grace's house, the blonde ignoring her father's questions as the left. Mia drove like an insane person, breaking more laws than Grace imagined possible as she drove.

"What's wrong?" Grace questioned, worry seeping into her voice. She was terrified Paul was hurt, her heart beating loudly in her ears.

Mia was practically shaking with worry as she pulled up to Jacob's house. She instantly relaxed, spotting Embry out front before hearing a loud scream. She tensed once again, hearing the pain in her packmates voice. Both girls were quick to exit the car, rushing towards their imprints in worry.

"What happened?" Mia questioned, her eyes locked on Embry's before she looked to the others.

"Jacob got hurt helping Leah," Embry explained, pulling the brunette to his side. She molded perfectly into his side, where she belonged.

"I had it, be shouldn't have-"

"Give it a rest Leah," Paul barely spared a glance towards the short haired she-wolf. His eyes were glued on Grace, the female clinging to his side and flinching each time Jacob yelled.

"How'd it go?" Mia pulled Embry away from the group, creating the illusion of privacy.

"They're all taken care of," Embry answered, his brown eyes connecting with hers. The two fell silent, silently communicating with each other. He was checking her for any possible injuries. Wondering if any of the newborns had showed up at Grace's. He knew it was a long shot that they would, but he still worried.

She was checking him for injuries as well, silently wondering if he had obtained any injuries that may have healed already. Her heart was hammering loudly as she checked her imprint over, relaxing slightly when she found no visible injuries.

"No other injuries?" She wondered, concern in her eyes as they met his once again.

He smiled, stepped forward to press a kiss to her forehead, "No one else was injured." When she nodded content, he pulled her into a hug, burying his face into her neck. He was slouched slightly, breathing in her scent and relaxing.

"What's the damage?" She wondered as they pulled apart. She looked behind her towards Jacob's house, cringing as another scream came from the house.

"Carlisle is inside rebreaking the bones so they heal correctly." Embry stated.

"That explains the smell," Mia stated.

"All the bones on the right side of his body were shattered by the newborn." Embry continued like she hadn't said anything.

The brunette grimaced, imaging just how painful the had to be, "ow," She muttered, looking up as Bella's truck pulled to a stop beside her car.

"How is he?" The pale brunette questioned, cringing as the broken male screamed once again. She walked up to the house, looking between everyone around the house. They all fell silent, Embry and Mia moving closer to the group as they waited for Carlisle. The screams of the pack mate painful for them all, each time he yelled out.

Mia only hoped things would be better now. No more drama. Just smooth sailing from here on out.

But they all learned quickly that nothing ever works in their favor.

Only one more chapter.