07.

Mia ground her teeth together in annoyance, listening to her father yell at her for her disappearing act yesterday night

Mia ground her teeth together in annoyance, listening to her father yell at her for her disappearing act yesterday night. The brunette found herself shifting angrily, her eyes set in a glare as they followed her father. The man was pacing in front of her, his face red as he yelled. "This looks bad on your mother and I!" She shifted again, rolling her eyes before she moved to leave the room.

Her father grabbed her arm, jerking her back towards him as he yelled once again. Mia jerked her arm from his grip, her angry eyes glaring at him to the point he stepped back, "keep your hands off of me." Jerking pass him, she allowed her shoulder to jab into his before exiting the house, her feet carrying her away from the house as quick as possible. The anger she felt was new to her yet she couldn't find it in herself to calm down.

She found herself walking down the street alone, where she was going unknown to her yet. She slowly felt the anger leave her body. But she worried how long it would be until she grew angry again, for some weird reason she had found herself growing angry quickly in the past day. It confused her but also worried her. She couldnt be a werewolf, it wasnt possible. Her father wasnt a pureblood Quileute, and her mother didnt have an ounce of Quileute in her. Surely she didnt have enough Quileute blood in her to allow her to shift.

She couldn't.

Stopping in front of the house, Mia stared at it silently, her eyes moving over the red wood of the building. From inside the house she could hear the laughing and joking around, followed by the scolding of Emily after the boys did something insane. A small laugh escaped her lips, bringing the boys conversation to a hush as they rushed out. Embry was the first one to her, pulling her into a quick hug before stepping back as the others hugged her as well.

"What brings you here?" Jared questioned, stopping in front of her. He held a muffin in his hands, munching on it as he spoke.

Mia gave him a look wondering how he suddenly had control to not swallow the whole muffin like he usually did, "just needed to get away." She answered him, chuckling as he shoved the whole muffin in his mouth after taking two bites from it.

"Great! I could use another hand," Emily smiled, gersturing for the brunette to follow her into the house. Mia shook her head, following the mother of the whole pack into the house. The men followed behind, grabbing more food before taking off to the beach.

"Im guessing they told you?" Mia wondered watching Emily rush around the kitchen. She appeared frazzled, a look Mia never thought she would see on the usually composed woman.

Emily nodded, pausing long enough to look at Mia in worry, "I wish things were different."

"You arent the only one," Mia stated with a sigh, helping Emily by starting on another batch of muffins. "Jacob just agreed to this without consulting with anyone. His obsession with the vampire loving freak could get all the guys killed and it pisses me off." She could feel herself getting worked up as she spoke, the anger returning once again.

"He loves her," Emily said softly, a sad smile on her face.

"She's not his imprint," Mia said, stirring the batter in the bowl. "He shouldnt be willing to loose everything and get everyone killed just for his best friend." Emily watched concerned as Mia glared angrily at the bowl in front of her. "Dont get me wrong, I love Grace, I would do anything for her. But I would also consult with the other people I would be involving if it could lead to them being injured or killed."

"Mia?" Emily said softly, placing a hand on the girls shoulder. "Calm down honey."

Breathing deeply, Mia forced herself to calm, her body shook as she willed the anger to go away. "I'm sorry," Mia whispered moments later.

"You're burning up," Emily pressed a hand to Mia's forehead. The ebony haired woman stared at the brunette, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "could you be shifting?"

"Its not possible," Mia stated, shaking her head as she turned back to the muffins. "My dad only has a small portion of Quileute blood in him-not even 25%-and my mom doesnt have an ounce of Quileute blood."

"You have all of the signs," Emily added.

"Ive noticed, trust me I have. But its not possible for me to shift." Shrugging her shoulders Mia tried to come up with a reason for whats been happening, "all this stuff with fighting the newborn army is just making me angry and I've been stressed with stuff at home. I'm probably coming down sick."

Emily nodded slowly, unconvinced but not pushing at the matter, "well I've found cooking helps me when im stressed."

Mia laughed softly, "you cook all the time."

"Well a house full of boys and being worried for them more often than not will stress a girl out," Emily explained, the two sharing a laugh as they set to work on baking all the muffins and cookies and loafs of bread Emily had planned. Mia could only shake her head as they baked, knowing every ounce of food they made today, would be gone by tomorrow.

----------

Hours later Mia found herself on the beach once again with Embry, the two walking side-by-side. Embry was telling her about the first training session they had, although the wolves just sat around watching the bloodsuckers. "It was actually kind of cool seeing them move like that." He told her, glancing down at her. "Puts into perspective just how awesome we are to be able to catch them and kill them."

Mia laughed loudly shaking her head, "you are crazy." The brunette pulled them to a stop and placing herself on the ground. She stared out into the water, watching the waves crash onto the shore. "Only 3 days," she whispered softly.

Embry nodded, interlocking his fingers in his lap as he looked over at her, "yeah, and then maybe things will be calm for a while."

Mia shook her head, a snort escaping her lips," yeah because having Bella around means calmness."

Embry chuckled, nudging her with his shoulder, "that is very true."

Mia hummed quietly, looking down at her fingers before whispering softly, "I hate this, I feel completely useless." Embry looked down at her sadly, reaching out to grab her hand. "You and the pack are getting ready to go fight a bunch of newborns that could kill you easily." Mia stated, "and my best friend is lying in a hospital bed fighting for her life, and I feel useless. I cant do anything to help either of the people I care about most in my life. Its killing me."

"We will be fine," Embry said softly. "Having you at our side, thats more than enough help Mia. Just seeing that you are okay, makes me feel one hundred percent better. We are doing this to keep you, Grace, Emily and all the other humans in this town safe. Its our job. But knowing we are keeping our imprints safe, nothing compares to that." The male explained. "And with Grace, I wish I could do something as well, but us being there for Paul and each other during this is so much help. If I didnt have you I'd probably fall apart, and Paul, I can only imagine how torn up he would be if he didnt have all of us to keep pushing him."

"I get what you are saying Mia, but you are not useless. You are beyond helpful."