twenty seven

T W E N T Y     S E V E N

- A b b y     J o n e s -

I slept on the couch that night.

It wasn't that I really needed to, because Niall was more than willing to help me get to bed, but I really couldn't cope with everything that had happened the night prior, and I needed some space.

It was either that or I was too tired to think about whether or not I should talk to Niall about what happened.

I honestly had no idea why I was scared of how he'd react. He wasn't the type of person to judge, and if anything, he'd be supportive.

Maybe it was the fact that it was his ex-girlfriend who confronted me about their breakup. Maybe I was afraid that he still had feelings for her. Maybe I was afraid that one day, for some reason, he might want to leave me and go back to her.

Truth be told, it sounded crazy. Even in my head.

I shook my head trying to rid my mind of any additional thoughts and stood up in order to make my way to the washroom. I assumed that Niall was still asleep due to the lack of noise in the apartment, so I proceeded to get ready for the day. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth before blow drying my hair as much as possible. Then, I wrapped myself up in a towel and walked into my—our, to be exact—room to look for a space change of clothes.

Niall's light snoring indicated that he was still soundly asleep, and I tried my best to keep it that way. I got dressed quickly and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee.

As I sat at the counter alone, drinking the warm beverage, I heard shuffling from the other room, and the thought of talking to Niall about what happened the other night was sat nagging me in the back of my mind. I rubbed my temple as I watched him walk in. I didn't react. I simply lifted the mug to my lips and took another sip.

Niall's expression was unreadable. I felt guilty that I didn't tell him what happened and yet, he's been so sweet about it. I didn't like it. I felt like a complete idiot. "Mornin' darlin'," He smiled and placed a quick kiss on my forehead before moving over to the fridge, as if nothing happened last night.

I sat there, stunned at the fact that he's been so chill about this entire situation. I was starting to wonder whether he was pretending he'd forgot about the whole thing for my sake.

But I wouldn't let him do that.

"I get scared sometimes," I blurted out without thinking about it too much.

I regretted it almost immediately.

He looked at me with an incredulous expression on his face. "What do you mean?"

I took a deep breath. "I get scared that—" I stopped myself. I didn't understand why it was so hard for me to talk to him, open up, talk about my feelings. I just couldn't do it. "Never mind," I stood up and shook my head. "Forget it." I left my half empty mug on the counter and headed towards the living room in order to avoid the conversation.

"Wait!" Niall called out. I stopped and turned to look at him, but I forced myself not to look into the ocean blue of his eyes. He walked up to me and grabbed my hands. I let him. "Abby, talk to me. What's wrong?"

"I honestly don't know what's wrong with me," I shook my head once again and rubbed my face, trying to calm my nerves. "I'm just having trouble telling you thinks. I don't know why. I'm sorry."