three

T H R E E

- A b b y  J o n e s - 

"But I really liked that apartment," Niall complained as we drove around the city. "It had a great view and everything."

We've been apartment hunting all day. So far, every single place we checked out was either in horrible condition or terribly expensive. In this case, the place Niall wanted was way more expensive than we could afford.

My mom and his parents decided to help chip in and they were going to help us pay for a new place. Since we both had part-time jobs, Niall and I had a fair amount of money and we figured that buying a place wouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, right.

"Niall, no." I laughed as he kept on complaining about the apartment.

"But my parents said they could-"

"I don't want your parents to go bankrupt." I stopped him before he could finish the sentence. "We'll find a better and more affordable place to live in, I promise."

He sighed before concentrating back on the road. "Fine."

"Hey," I placed a hand on his shoulder as he drove. "Don't panic, we'll find something."

He flashed me a brief smile. "I know."

"Okay. Where to next?"

Our apartment search continued. Our next stop was an older apartment building which was in a part of the city I've never been to before. However, we didn't even get to see the apartment, because, well, let's just say I don't like rats. And that building was full of them. I practically ran out screaming as Niall followed me out laughing. Even though he wouldn't stop teasing me, I was glad he didn't make me go back in there to see the apartment.

The next destination was a building in the downtown area. The apartment seemed decent, actually. It was a nice, homey place with two bedrooms for the two of us. What surprised me the most was the price; the apartment was pretty affordable. I wanted to buy the apartment right on the spot.

"This place seems nice." I turned to Niall as soon as the real estate agent stopped rambling about the apartment and walked away.

"Yeah, it does..." He drifted off, sounding a bit confused. "But, the price makes it look fishy."

"This may or may not be the only thing we can actually afford." I reasoned with him.

"Let me do a little bit of research first." He took his phone out and started tapping on it.

As he did a Google search of the apartment, I took the opportunity to look around the place a bit more. I walked out onto the balcony and looked at the breathtaking view of the park that happened to be right across the street.

"Hey Abs," I heard Niall from behind me and I turned around to face him. "Yeah, someone got murdered here before..."

"What!?" My eyes widened at his words.

"Yeah.. In 2006, a man shot and killed his wife and two kids before jumping off of this very balcony, screaming that he 'worships Satan'," He read from the small screen on his phone. "And then several people were supposedly "haunted" after that."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"That's horrible."

"I know."

"Let's go."

"Yeah, I don't feel like staying here any longer."

And we got back on the road as our apartment hunt continued. We decided to drive around the colleges we were going to and see if there were any apartments on sale in those areas. We went all around town, and it was hard to find the perfect apartment to say the least. Nothing just seemed right. We were getting tired and about to give up on our search when we finally found... it.

It was a simple apartment with a living room, kitchenette, one bathroom, and two bedrooms located in an apartment building somewhere in between both of mine and Niall's colleges. This apartment didn't have a balcony, so I guess we didn't have to worry about any Satan worshipers committing suicide in it. Also, the price was a little above our affordable price range, but our parents said that they'd take care of it, so we decided not to worry about it too much.

That night, Niall and I went back home talking about our soon-to-be new apartment.

"Oh God, we're actually doing this," I squealed. "That place is perfect."

Niall nodded. "Yeah, I can't wait. It's going to be great."

►►►

so here's just a short filler chapter bye