twenty eight

T W E N T Y    E I G H T

- A b b y    J o n e s -

"Hey, I'm home!" I called out as I entered our apartment with groceries in one hand and our mail in the other. "Niall?"

"Over here!" I followed the sound of his voice into the kitchen to find him with his head inside the cupboard underneath the sink. "There was a leak," He explained as he pulled himself up, wrench in his hand. "It should be fine now," He put the wrench back in the toolbox and wiped his hands on his jeans.

"Look at you being all handy and domestic." I teased him as I set the groceries on the counter.

He smirked and gave me a quick kiss. "Hi."

"Hi yourself," I skimmed through the mail—which was mostly advertisements and bills. One of the letters, however, caught my eye. "Hey, you got a letter from your brother."

Niall raised his eyebrows and took the letter in question out of my hands, inspecting it. "Why would he be sending me—oh, right, the wedding. This must be our invitation."

Niall's brother, Greg, was getting married. We had only found out a month prior, when Niall's very excited mother called him to announce the news. He was marrying his long-time girlfriend, Denise, and it was about time. Niall and I suffered through most of our high school years watching them be all cutesy with each other. They were the cutest couple—I was glad Greg finally popped the question.

"Well, that's formal," I indicated as Niall flipped the white card open, where it said we were cordially invited to Greg and Denise's wedding.

He smiled. "This invitation's for the both of us. Hope you have a dress ready."

I scoffed. "When have I ever not had anything to wear?"

"Remember that time in our junior year we had a fall dance and you went in your converse—"

"Hey, hey, hey," I cut him off before he could finish that embarrassing sentence. "It was a phase. I thought I was being 'cool' by being different like that."

Niall walked up to me and leaned in. "What are you talking about? You are cool." He kissed my nose.

"Ew," I pushed him away playfully. "Cooties."

He laughed. "What do you think our relatives will have to say about..." He drifted off, but I knew what he was referring to.

"Us?" He nodded. "Well, our parents know, so that must mean everyone else does. Your grandmother's gonna be happy; she's been rooting for us since the beginning."

"Really?" He inquired. "How so?"

"She would come up to me at every family gathering and ask me to take care of you for the rest of our lives." I rolled my eyes.

Niall wrapped his arms around me before he pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Gotta love good 'ole nanny Horan."

--

That night, I had made plans with Anya, Erin and Serena for a girls' night out.

"But what am I going to do without you?" Niall had whined as I finished getting ready for the night. "This is the first time you're leaving me alone in a while." He whined.