six

S I X

[a/n: the part of the chapter in italics is abby's flashback]

- A b b y  J o n e s - 

Two weeks after the party, Harry started texting me. It started off with an innocent ‘hey’ and somehow came down to a ‘wanna hang out sometime? ;)’. I was nice enough to reply to all of his texts, well except for the last one, I really didn’t know what to say to that. I mean, it had a winky face at the end of the sentence which made me want to ask him to define his version of ‘hang out’. Seriously though, how did he get my number?

Niall.

That little bastard. Wait, didn’t he tell Harry that I was his “girl” at the party? ‘Cause that’s exactly how I remember it. If Harry’s that low that he’d be going after his friend’s girlfriends then I’m never texting him again. I had to confront Niall about this.

My thoughts were interrupted when my “lovely” roommate literally ran into the apartment, all sweaty and panting as if he’d been running. He locked the door before turning around to face me. His cheeks were pink and flushed and I couldn’t help and think about how adorable he looked. God damn it, Horan.

“What have you been doin’? Runnin’ a marathon?” I questioned the still panting boy smugly.

He shot me a glare before walking over to the kitchen. I followed him. “For your information, I just felt like jogging a bit. You know, staying in shape.” He lied as he poured himself a glass of water.

‘Staying in shape’ my ass. Did you see what he looked like? He was basically perfection. He’d eat junk food every single day, he’d drink beer every night, and he wouldn’t gain a single pound. I never really knew how he managed to stay so fit all these years, and honestly, I was jealous. Man, I wish I had his metabolism. But anyway, even I knew that he knew that he was hot. He practically bragged about it every day. He himself knew that he was fit.

“Bullshit.” I said. “What did you do this time, Horan?” I sighed, knowing he just got his ass in trouble, again.

“What do you mean?” He asked me as if he didn’t know what I was talking about.

“You know what I mean,” I explained. “You used to get into trouble in high school all the time because of your antics.” I almost laughed, remembering all of the stupid things he did.

“Hey, everything I did in high school was to stop all the assholes from harassing everyone who didn’t deserve it.” He responded with a smirk plastered on his face. “I was a high school superman, for crying out loud.”

“Well superman, you sure did get into a lot of trouble.”

He placed the now empty glass into the sink before walking over to me and placing a hand on my shoulder. I looked over from his hand and up into his face and into his blue eyes. “Babe, if I hadn’t done all that stuff, you wouldn’t have met me.” He smiled genuinely.

And it all started coming back to me.

--

“Leave me alone, please.” I begged the boy in front of me, who wouldn’t stop harassing me. “I didn’t do anything to you.”

“Oh yeah?” He smirked at me. He pulled my books out of my hands and threw them onto the ground, before he started kicking them. “You looked annoyingly nerdy walking down this hallway. I know you from one of my classes – you always have to be the smartest one, don’t you?” He mocked me.