Black Pearl

1.     Dark Past

I can feel his body lose its soul as my hands grasped what was left of him. He gazed into my eyes, fear bestowed in there light brown color.

“Lauren?” I could tell it physically pained him to utter my name; he was losing so much blood from the bullet wounds inflicted by the robber who had broken into our apartment seconds before I arrived. He made me swear that I would wait with him until the cops and paramedics arrived. 

“What is it Eric?” his hand came up and stroked my cheek tears already pouring down his face. His black choppy hair matted with sweat, his white shirt soaked with his own blood.

“I want you to know that I will always love you. Don’t ever forget me.” I forced out a laugh against the lump forming in my throat.

“Eric, don’t talk like that. You’re not going to die. You hear me? I won’t let you!”

He smiled and wiped away a tear escaping me. His hand suddenly dropped and his sweet eyes went glassy. I don’t want to believe it, I can’t believe it. He isn’t dead…he can’t be. My heart literally dropped down to my stomach where flames engulfed it.

“Eric?” a sob shot out like lightening. Emotions swirled all over, I started screaming. Long, sorrow filled screams. I didn’t make sense when I blubbered out that I wanted Eric to not be dead. It wasn’t just Eric lying here on our wooden floor; it was the other piece of me.