Chapter 8

"The battles..." Cassandra thought.

Even though they've known each other for only about a week, the realization had crushed her.

Will he be okay?

Will he forget about her?

Will she see him again?

Suddenly Gabriella had brought her away from her thoughts.

"Well you know what Cassandra, you won't have to be dealing with that stone face for a long time!" Gabriella tried to comfort her.

"A long time," Cassandra said to herself, not even knowing that everyone heard that. Immediately she felt Alexander's gaze on her.

"Yeah, a long time," Henry, who is also going to fight in the battles, pipped in, after having not spoken in a long time.

"You never know with the wars and battles these days - they could go on and on and no one could possible know when they'd end," Harold added.

"And not everyone comes back alive from them," Alexander unconsciously said out loud.

"Alexander!" Gabriella exclaimed, nearly in tears, "Don't you dare speak of such thing!"

"Mother, as a soldier it is our duty to be ready to sacrifice our lives when it comes to defending our country," he replied proudly.

Jenny rolled her eyes.

"All right Alexander we get it! Mother just wants you to be optimistic. You don't have to become Mr. Pride Man with us."

Henry snickered while Cassandra hid her grin, while Alexander just shook his head at his sister's remark.

"Mr. Pride Man? Is that how I really am?"

"Yes, yes you are," Harold said to Alexander, as if reading his mind.

The fact that Cassandra was also there made him even more embarrassed. It was silent for a moment, and Henry eventually broke it.

"So, Alexander, when will we be leaving?"

"Tomorrow, sharp at sunrise."

Cassandra felt as though her stomach jumped out of her mouth.

"Oh dear why so soon?" Gabriella asked worriedly.

"Mother," Alexander replied sternly," it's important that we arrive early. We can prepare and discuss among ourselves about the tactics we plan to use and gather all our weapons. We can also practice our fighting skills, something we cannot do here of course."

"Our son does have a point," Harold supported.

"But you don't have to leave this early!" Jenny whined

"That's true," Henry added, "Even if we leave in two weeks from now, we'll still have plenty of time to prepare!"

"No." Alexander solidly said, "My decision is final."

"Why do you have to decide when we leave?" Henry complained.

"Man up, Henry." Alexander chided, "It may be put us in great difficulty to leave our family behind for some time, but we must learn to accept it."

"At least one more week?" Henry pleaded. As Alexander continued to decline Henry's requests, and an argument between them sparked.

Yet Cassandra could barely hear a word any one them were saying. Her vision began to blur and she started to move side to side with her feet, ready to collapse.

Just as she was about to reach the hard floor, Alexander dashed across the room and held her by her sides. He slowly sat themselves down on a soft couch and placed her head on one of his arms. Clearly she was unconscious. 

"I'll fetch some water," Jenny said and went.

"Oh Cassandra, what is it with you?" Alexander thought, deeply staring into her beautiful face.

The innocence seen on her face gave him the urge to caress her soft cheek. He stroked his thumb on her cheek, ever so lightly.

"Such a delicate one..."