Chapter 20

Two months later... 

July 16, 1861

Since the Battle of Fort Sumter, which occurred during April 12-14, the Union soldiers have fought in the Battle of Philippi and Big Bethel. They have been gaining victory back to back, so far since after the Battle of Fort Sumter.

Today, the Union soldiers will be arriving at Prince William County, Virginia for the First Battle of Bull Run. It was in fact the Battle of Philippi that lead to this. Overjoyed and overconfident about their victory in the Battle of Philippi, the Northern press celebrated it as an epic triumph, and this encouraged the Congress to call for the drive on Richmond that caused the First Battle of Bull Run to occur.

***

Buses had arrived to pick up the soldiers and army nurses, to take them to Virginia. The army nurses were in separate buses from the soldiers.

"ALRIGHT LET'S MOVE IT!" The soldiers had already departed, which made the bus drivers, that were taking the nurses, frustrated.

It took about an hour for everyone to get boarded onto the buses and soon they all departed to Virginia.

As expected, the army nurses became chatterboxes during the ride...as for the soldiers, they remained silent.

Until Fernando broke the silence.

"I'll twine 'mid the ringlets..."

All the soldiers sitting on that bus turned around and gave him a perplexed look.

"Of my raven black hair," he continued.

Every one immediately recognized the words...they were from a famous song that was published a year ago - Wildwood Flower.

Henry joined him.

"The lilies so pale and the roses so fair," the two men grinned and sang.

Alexander gave Henry a confused look that said, "You too?"

Eventually George couldn't help but join them.

"The myrtle so bright, with an emerald hue,"

The three singing men looked around nodding their heads for the other men sitting their to join them and continue the merry song.

Almost all the soldier joined them and happily sang along.

"And the pale aronatus, with eyes of bright blue."

About ten of the singing men got up from their seats and began to dance in their spots.

"I'll sing, and I'll dance, my laugh shall be gay, I'll cease this wild weeping drive sorrow away, tho' my heart is now breaking - "

Suddenly they stopped...thinking.

Then Fernando began, "So it be that this is a song that a woman sings about her man! Let's just switch the HE to a SHE!"

They all chuckled and followed along.

"She never shall know, that her name made me chipper, and my pale cheek to glow - "

"Wait a second," Alexander stopped them, "Chipper? Wasn't it 'tremble'?"

"Well...I mean," Henry began, "We men don't exactly tremble when we think about our love...that's more of something a woman does when she thinks about her man!"

Fernando added, "Yes...that is because we have our power of intimidation!"

The soldiers chuckled and continued on with the song.