Chapter 12

For some odd reason, Jenny was the first person that Cassandra wanted to share her news with.

Within the few days she got to know her, Cassandra felt that Jenny was definitely someone she could trust with all her heart. 

"Jenny! Jenny where are you?" Cassandra happily and excitedly called out to her sister-in-law.

"Cassandra? Is everything alright?" Jenny came running up the stairs after hearing the eager tone from Cassandra.

"Oh Jenny! I have great news! I feel like I've never been this happy before!"

"Well, seems to me that it's necessary that I hear this great news you have!"

"I was out in the balcony when suddenly I came across this flyer - or I should say, when this flyer came across me. It was like God's answers to my prayers Jenny!"

"Alright, what exactly is this flyer about?"

"Jenny, I'm going to become an...ARMY NURSE!"

Jenny stared back at her in shock. She didn't even know how to respond. 

"Jenny? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Cassandra, are you sure about this decision you made? It seems like a big commitment."

"Yes, it is a big commitment, but I know it to my hear that it's a good one, Jenny. I've never felt this sure about any decision I made."

"Out of all the people there are in this world, you chose to make a commitment for Alexander? That cold-hearted man who doesn't want to spend any time with his family?

"Well Jenny, it's not just for Alexander. It's also for the thousands of other devoted soldiers fighting for our country," she reasoned. 

"I guess you are doing this for a good cause, but when do you plan to tell the rest of the family?"

"Right now, Jenny!"

They both ran down the stairs calling out to Harold and Gabriella, and told them about Cassandra's decision. 

"Oh my," Gabriella said softly and in shock, "you'd do this, all just to see your husband? The man that hadn't been showering you with love, but with cruelty?"

Cassandra felt embarrassed at herself but was quick to respond, "Well, it's also for all the other soldiers-"

"Oh Cassandra," Harold began, "we all know exactly why you are going there. Similarly to how Alexander is the most devoted soldier we know, you are the most devoted wife we know - and probably ever know."

"I knew it!" Jenny exclaimed.

Harold and Gabriella chuckled, while Cassandra stood there more awkwardly than ever. She couldn't bring herself to deny her father-in-law's claim. 

"Cassandra," Harold held her hand in his two bigger ones, "we support you in this decision with all our hearts...right? He looked over at Jenny and Gabriella.

"Right," they replied with a warm smile. An elated Cassandra felt strong gratitude towards her husband's family, as it wasn't easy for a housewife at her time to begin working whenever she wanted to. 

***

After a few more days of trotting and stopping every now and then for water and food, Alexander and the other men finally made it to Charleston. As they reached there, hundreds of white tents could come to view. There were soldiers here and there training with each other in preparation for the upcoming Battle of Fort Sumter.

"The first thing we should do is get our tents set up," Alexander told his group. Having no objection, the four men began setting up their tent - they decided that it would be efficient if they all shared one. 

When they finished building their tent Fernando asked, "Where's Captain Joseph?"

Alexander promptly replied, "He's already in his tent, but tomorrow morning he will be discussing with us the tactics for fighting in this first battle - so wake up right when I tell you to wake up, alright? I don't want any 'oh please just a couple more minutes'!"

"Yes sir," George emphasized as he mockingly saluted him.

They all laid on their backs and began snoring heavily within just a few moments, except for Alexander. 

He had been thinking about Cassandra for the past few nights, involuntarily. He could never understand why, but she just kept on coming to his mind, as if she didn't want him to think of anything else. 

He eventually came to the realization that it's him, he was missing her - so much more than he'd expected he would. Alexander missed everything about her - her warm appearance, innocence, kindness, and later realized, her devotion to him.

"She...she really cared about me...and all I've been to her is a moron who lacks the ability reciprocate and open his heart."

He got up from his sleeping position and opened his bag for some water, which he had earlier preserved from the man made lake in a large bottle. As he impatiently attempted open the bottle, his thumb scraped hard against the sharp lid and within seconds he could see blood oozing all over his hand.

He gave out a small cry of pain, but also felt much better mentally. Giving himself pain, though accidentally, made him feel satisfied, in that he had been punished for his deeds. 

"If Cassandra was here, she'd been running to me with a piece of cloth in her hands, that was torn from her own clothing."

He pictured the scene and smiled to himself. He couldn't call it love, but he had a very strong yearning to see her. With all this pressure and preparing for battles, he needed to see her, he needed a motivation. 

"Oh Cassandra," he softly whispered, "when can I ever see that beautiful and innocent face of yours again?"