Chapter 9

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while since I updated. I just wanted to remind you of some of the characters. Harold is Alexander's dad, Gabriella is Alexander's mom, Jenny is his younger sister, and Henry is his younger brother (who is older than Jenny). Hope you enjoy this chapter!

Feeling a few drops of water on her face, Cassandra slowly opened her eyes.

Everyone surrounded her in a circle and stared at her, as if waiting for some response.

She noticed that her head wasn't resting on a pillow...but Alexander's arm.

Flushing at the realization, she immediately attempted to push herself up but her husband's strong hands held her in place.

"You need to rest, Cassandra," he chided.

"Really, I'm fine...I just-"

"No Cassandra," Jenny said softly, "I've noticed that you've been tensed and nervous since about an hour ago. What's wrong Cassandra? Is everything alright?"

No it's not.

Yet she lied, "I guess I was just still in the shock of those attackers that came by our town."

"Really?" Gabriella piped in, "It's nothing else?"

As everyone were asking his wife if she was okay, there was only one thing that was running in Alexander's head - he needed to be with her.

"Alright then," Alexander began, "I guess we could leave in a week, maybe, instead of tomorrow."

Jenny exclaimed, "Really! Oh thank you Alexander! Thank you! Thank you so much!"

Cassandra felt loads of relief running through her.

Even Henry jumped up and down the slightest bit.

"I really love this decision you made Alexander," Harold beamed, "but I was just curious...why did you change your mind all of a sudden?"

He didn't want to make his wife seem insecure, so he lied.

"Well, I just realized that I haven't spent much time with you all lately."

It's not that he didn't want to be with his family, it's just that it wasn't really the main reason for his sudden change of plans.

"Oh how very sweet of you my dear," Gabriella smiled at her son.

Soon everyone left the living room to do their own businesses and Cassandra just stood there, not knowing where to go and was left alone with Alexander.

"Why did you faint?" Alexander suddenly asked after a long silence between them.

"Why I fainted?" Cassandra asked perplexed, "how should I know that?"

"You know why you fainted, Cassandra." He walked closer to her, "just tell me."

She actually did know why she fainted, but didn't want to tell him.

"Well I..."

"You...?"

Just spill it Cassandra.

"I was too startled that you were going to leave tomorrow morning itself and...," she paused and tried to form her next words, "...I was sad that you were going to leave too soon."

Alexander stood astonished at her words.

"Sad?"

"Yeah, sad."

"But I've been nothing but cruel to you."

"I guess..."

"So you agree that I was cruel?" he smirked and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh no it's like that-"

"I was just joking," he chuckled, "but really...why would you miss a cold-hearted man like me?"

"I just wanted to spend some more time with you," she couldn't believe that she just said that.

"Spend time...I guess I have to admit, I wanted to do the same with you," he smiled at her.

She smiled back, feeling butterflies all over her stomach.

"Would you like to go for walk with me outside, Cassandra?"

Cassandra beamed at him, "I'd love to!"

They stepped outside and took in the peaceful view of the town.

Both of them were grateful that they weren't still in that other town, where there were bodies lying all over the place.

They walked along the sidewalk and every now and then, carriages or people on horses would pass by.

After a few minutes they took a break and stood, just watching what was going around them.

Suddenly, words of a woman that was walking by came to Alexander's ear.

The voice seemed to be just like Cassandra's to Alexander's ears.

The woman said to her friend walking with her, "These soldiers, really, just waste their time in the army...too bad they couldn't get any other way to bring money to their families."

Alexander lost it.

"How dare you..." he said ever so quietly.

"What do you mean?" Cassandra asked, terrified already.

Before she knew it he immediately turned towards her and roughly held her by her shoulders, causing her to let out a small cry.

"What did I do?" Cassandra asked, fear striking across her eyes.

"What did you do? You had the guts to insult the army in front of me!"

She stood in complete confusion. For all she knew, she was just enjoying the beautiful scenery of a calm town. "I swear Alexander! I didn't say a word like that!"

"I can't believe that you don't even hesitate to lie to me," he shook his head.

Oh dear lord, everything was going so well! What happened all of a sudden!

He grabbed her by the arm and fast-walked towards his house. Once he got there, he flung her to the ground and she sat there, confused and horrified.

"I can't believe that I cared to think about your insecurity," he spat, quietly yet sternly.

"Alexander I didn't-"

"That does it. I'm leaving for the battles tonight itself! Henry! Henry get down here - NOW."

Cassandra felt as though her stomach came up and out through her mouth.

"Get up!" he angrily whispered to her, "I can't let my family see you like this!"

She got up and ran to the dining room then sat on the nearest chair, silently letting out a waterfall of tears.