Chapter 27

April 7, 1862

Just as the Union soldiers thought the Battle of Shiloh had come to an end, they were proved wrong in just a matter of hours.

The next morning, Captain Joseph went missing. 

The Union soldiers searched frantically all over their camp for their captain, but in vain.

"CAPTAAAAIIINNNN!" Alexander called out with his hands surrounding his mouth, "CAPTAIN JOSEPH!" The soldiers requested the army nurses to help them search.

Cassandra jogged her way by the tents that soldiers were already searching in, when something shiny caught her eye. It seemed to be somewhere right next to one of the tents - the  tent was Captain Joseph's.

As she got closer, she leaned down to pick up what she had found.

It was a Christian cross necklace.

Cassandra's heart pounded as she realized what was in her hands. "Could this be his?" she thought worriedly. The thought that the Captain could be out there without his cross necklace made her feel very anxious. 

"Alexander!" she called out to him as she jogged away from the tent.

"Did you find anything?" he asked hopefully as he limped towards her, he still wasn't able to walk normally after the bullets hit him.

"I found this," she held out the necklace and asked anxiously, "Is it his?" 

Alexander took it from her hands and a flash of fear and anger came across his face, "It is," he said in a very low voice, "They took him, didn't they."

"What do you mean 'they'?" Cassandra replied, not understanding what her meant. 

"The Confederates. Those mongrels!" With that he attempted to make a dash towards where most of the soldiers and army nurses were, but he fell down shortly. 

"Alexander! Are you alright?" Cassandra ran towards him and held out her hand.

"I may be," he replied as he took her hand and she helped him up, "but Captain Joseph is definitely not!" It took a couple minutes for them to reach to where everyone else were.

"Our Captain," Alexander began with a booming voice to get everyone's attention, "has been abducted!" 

Many gasps were made among the group. A few moments later General McClellan  said as calmly as he could, "What makes you think that, Alexander?"

"He would never leave this necklace of his behind, and let it be there on the ground! It wouldn't have just come off that easily. Someone must have forced him!" 

After some thought the General eyes widened, "That man! That Confederate we captured! He would know!"

Without sparing a second more, Alexander and a few other soldiers rushed to where they kept the man they captured and dragged him to where everyone else were. 

"It's time that you speak, Confederate!" Alexander held a gun at the man's forehead threateningly.

"Oh boy, you amateurs!" he chuckled, making the Alexander even more angrier. Irritated, he slapped the man hard on his cheek with his gun. Then he grabbed him by the collar.

"I said speak," Alexander glared daggers at the captured man.

"Wait wait wait...I think we should first introduce ourselves," the man said with an innocent smile, "My name is Eithen, what is yours-"

Another smack came flying across the man's face. 

"Listen, Eithen, you tell us where you mongrels kept out captain...or I'll shoot you!" Alexander, again, help the gun at his face.