Chapter 15

Cassandra froze in her spot.

"You are what?" She asked Jenny, making sure she heard her correctly.

"I'm coming with you Cassandra!" Jenny exclaimed back.

"But...why?"

"You are my role model Cassandra, and there is so much to learn from you! When we learned that you were going to become an army nurse, we thought that it would be best that I tag along. Also, I would like to get a feel for what it's like to be an army nurse. I've actually been considering this as an occupation."

"Well, that's wonderful to hear Jenny!" Cassandra then called out to her in-laws, "Are you sure you are okay with Jenny coming along with me?"

"With all our hearts Cassandra," Gabriella replied with a kind smile.

Jenny quickly embraced her parents one last time and hopped into the vehicle. Immediately the driver pulled forward and drove off.

"I believe there are women here from Pennsylvania as well," Cassandra mentioned to Jenny.

"Indeed you are right," said a woman, who looked like she was in her thirties, sitting next to Cassandra. Jenny looked at the woman with curiosity.

"I'm Caroline," the woman said as she held out her hand.

"I'm Cassandra," she replied as she mirrored Caroline, "and this is my sister-in-law Jenny."

"It's a pleasure to meet you both! I'm from Pennsylvania and I've been working in a hospital for ten years now as a nurse. My husband and father are soldiers in the army, so I thought this would be a wonderful way to support them and their companions."

"Oh that truly is a generous way to support your fellows," Jenny said.

"It really is Caroline," Cassandra agreed with a sweet smile, "My husband is a soldier as well, an extremely devoted one, I'd say. We got married only a month ago and he had to leave so soon...being an army nurse not only gives me the opportunity to be with him, but as you said, I can also support him this way. As a wife, isn't it our job to be there for our husbands when they need us most?"

"Oh how well said Cassandra!" Caroline exclaimed clapping her hands, "I'm so glad that I met a wise woman like you."

"And we're glad to have met such kind-hearted woman like you Caroline."

***

Captain Joseph's words were running in Alexander's head again and again.

" This incident was what made me become a stronger soldier, and eventually a Captain. She was my motivation."

"Could Cassandra be my motivation?" Alexander thought, unaware that he actually said it out loud. George had passed by him when he said that.

"What??? Alexander is that you?" George asked him with a very amused look.

"It's nothing George."

"Oh I'm sure it's something! What happened?"

"Well it's...there are just some things I need to figure out..."

With my marriage life.

Alexander would have mentioned that but realized that this was something that he should keep to himself, for now.

***

It took about an hour to reach the university.

One by one, the women stepped out of the vehicle. Other women in the other vehicles entering the university campus did the same. Eventually, there were hundreds of women scattered everywhere either greeting each other of looking for the auditorium for the training.

"Cassandra," Jenny pulled on her arm, "look over there!"

"What is it Jenny?"

"There's a woman there who looks just like you!"

It only took a few seconds for Cassandra to find the woman Jenny exclaimed about, and she stood shocked. Just a few moments later she ran over to that woman and embraced her.

"Meredith!"

"Cassandra!" the woman hugged her back.

Jenny awkwardly approached them.

"Oh Jenny! This is my twin sister Meredith! Fraternal twins, not identical."

Jenny politely held her hand out and greeted her sister in-law's twin.

"Cassandra," Meredith began, "have you not been getting our letters? We've been getting no reply from you! We were worried sick that either you were in danger, or you have forgotten about us!" she said as she clasped Cassandra's hands in hers.

"I've been writing to you as well, you know! But you all haven't been replying either! I couldn't get your letters because I haven't been in our new home this past month. I've been staying in Alexander's family's home. There was an attack by the Red Cobras in our town and we've haven't gone back there since. But why haven't you been replying?"

"There was an attack by the Red Cobras in our town as well. We got shifted into a new home for the sake of our safety. Mother and Father are with us as well."

"Oh dear, well thank God you're all safe!"

Cassandra gasped, "I almost forgot! Where's Lily?!"

"Right here!" a girl about the same age as Jenny jumped from behind Cassandra.

"Lily!" Cassandra held her younger sister in a tight embrace and Lily happily hugged her back.

"I've missed you so much Cassie!" Lily squealed and then asked with curiosity, "Oh and who's this?"

"This is Alexander's younger sister, Jenny. In fact, she's the same age as you Lily!"

"Oh Jenny it's a pleasure to meet you!" Lily said as she tightly hugged Jenny. 

"It's so nice to meet you too, Lily!" Jenny replied with much excitement as she hugged her back. 

After some warm greetings with each other, the four girls headed together to the auditorium. 

There was a short and chubby old woman on the patio. She didn't look happy and welcoming at all. In fact, she looked as though she just threw up spoiled milk and was forced to clean waste in the stables.

Yes, that bad.

"Oh lord, just the sight of her makes me feel like running all the way back to my house," Jenny whispered to Lily, "Can you imagine what her voice might be like?"

"It would probably sound like a frog attempting to speak English through it's ugly croaks and having constipation at the same time ," Lily whispered to Jenny and they both giggled like little girls.

"From hearing what you both said," Meredith began, "I have a sick feeling in my stomach that this is going to be one long and painful training."