Chapter 26

April 6th, 1862 in  Shiloh, Tennessee 

There were no warnings.

The Union soldiers were just about to gather up for lunch when suddenly several of them dropped dead to the ground. 

Alexander's heart pounded so hard against his chest, it could be heard from miles away. 

"Nobody move!" Captain Joseph commanded.

The silence was the most deadliest they have experienced. 

Was there going to be another sudden round of dead soldiers? 

Will a bomb suddenly explode right next to them?

Alexander couldn't help but think of more and more worst case scenarios. 

Swiftly, a scrawny man jumped down from a tall tree, and landed perfectly on his feet. Looking at his uniform, he seemed to be a Confederate. 

"I'm sorry, fellow Union soldiers," the man began, "but we are going to get the head start this time!"

"What do you mean, head start?" Captain Joseph glared as he questioned the man.

"Our troops are ready with fully loaded guns over there," he pointed behind him, but no one could see any soldier.

"Could he be bluffing?" Alexander asked Captain Joseph. 

"I don't think so, frankly," he replied.

Threateningly, Alexander raised his gun at the man's forehead, "You are going to tell us where and when exactly your men are going to attack." 

"It doesn't matter if you shoot me, it really wouldn't make any difference in anything," the scrawny man smirked. 

Alexander was about the pull the trigger, when the captain stopped him. "Wait," he said as he pushed away Alexander's gun, "tie him up!" 

"Really, there isn't much time for you to do all this," the Confederate chuckled.

"What are you talking about," Alexander snapped. 

The man just gave him a sly smile and enjoyed the last few seconds of silence. 

Seconds later, bullets started coming from where the man had pointed and more soldiers began to drop dead, with a big red circle on there foreheads. 

"GET YOUR GUNS!" Captain Joseph yelled as he ran to grab his. 

"I guess the man was telling the truth after all," Alexander mumbled to himself. 

Thankfully he was able to find his gun in time but to his horror, there were no bullets in it. 

***

When the first bullets were fired across the air, Cassandra felt as though she was about to faint. 

"The soldiers, they were going out for their lunch!" she said as she put her hands on her head with worry, "They may not even have their guns with them!"

At the realization the other army nurses began to fear as well.

Cassandra's face whitened when she saw next to her what Alexander left behind last night - his bullets. 

"I have to give these to him," she murmured to herself.

"You are NOT going to that battle field, Cassandra!" Meredith scolded.

"Do you think that I can just have my husband's bullets in my hands, knowing that he has none with him out there?" Cassandra shot back.

Her sister sighed, "Look, just, be careful okay? Even if it looks a little dangerous, you are coming right back down!"