Chapter 17

The meet and greet lasted for about an hour, and eventually everyone returned to their designated tents.

Before running off with the other army nurses, Cassandra turned back and gave a sweet smile to Alexander, and he gladly returned it before going off to his tent.

Alexander never felt such bliss.

What better news could he get than hearing that his wife had become an army nurse to be with him and support him?

Well there was one thing - hearing that slavery had existed no more in America, and that all these soldiers here could be peacefully with their families.

But obviously that was off the table, sadly.

Once all the army nurses settled into their respective tents, then began endless chatting about the soldiers they met.

"Oh those soldiers are so manly and polite, and full of manners," Jenny grinned.

"I know! And they are so charming. In fact, they might as well be princes disguised as soldiers," Lily chuckled.

"Oh Lily, you and your silly little thoughts!" Meredith replied with a big grin, "I did have quite a delightful conversation with this one handsome soldier. I believe his name was...George! That's what it was! He said that I had a beautiful smile," she giggled looking down at her hands.

Cassandra found the name awfully familiar. Aha, Alexander's friend! Though there could be several others with the same name, it is a small world, right?

"Oooohhhhh he did?" The rest of the girls asked wiggling their eyebrows teasingly.

"Mmmhmm," Meredith nodded and smiled bashfully.

"Oh dear Cassandra I almost forgot!" Lily began with a mischief smile, "did you get to meet...your man?"

Cassandra's heart fluttered at the memory.

"Yes," she smiled, "I did, and you know what's odd?"

"What?" they all asked in unison.

"He told me that he missed me."

After making a uniform sharp gasp, they squealed a moments later.

"Ahhhhhh! How sweet!" Meredith was the first to speak after their long squealing session.

"He really said that?" Lily asked next, "Hah, finally my dear sister is getting some love in her life."

"My brother is the worst at admitting things, and yet he actually told you that? I'm quite proud of him BUT OH LORD THAT IS THE MOST BLISSFUL NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL DAY." 

Cassandra giggled at their reactions.

Girls will always be girls.

***

"Alex, what happened to you?" Fernando asked with curiosity.

"Yes brother, you look all boozed up!" Henry chuckled and so did the others. Alexander felt the urge to share his happiness, "I...I didn't expect it."

"Expect what?" George asked confused.

"She came. She was there. She became an army nurse!"

"Ah so that's what was running in your head all of this morning," Fernando realized.

"That's...that's a big decision she made there," George said in thought, "did you thank her?"

"Thank her?" Alexander thought, "Well, I didn't really think that that was something you'd say in that situation...actually, I should have. Why do I always miss the opportunity to say things? I'm such an idiot!"

"Yes you are my friend, yes you are," George replied patting his back.

"Well that's wonderful to hear," Henry started, "So what did you think of the meet and greet? What did you think of the army nurses?"

"Oh those nurses are lovely, "George began, "One of the nurses I met seemed so happy to meet me, and I couldn't help but compliment on her cute smile."

"Oh is that right?" the other men grinned mischievously, "Well, what's her name?"

"Uhhhh...I think it started with an M..."

"Ah George," Alexander teased, "how can you not remember the name of our future sister-in-law?" and all the men chuckled. Alexander suddenly seemed in the mood to joke around.

"Alright, alright, it's not anything like that," George replied flushed.

"You were the one being frank about mentioning her "cute" smile," Henry grinned.

"Hey that's true!" Fernando agreed.

"Alright mates let's move on!" George demanded, but they just couldn't take him seriously.

"Why don't we have dinner," Henry suggested, "I'm starved."

"So am I," Fernando placed his hand on his rumbling stomach. Within a few minutes the men took out their food and began eating to their stomachs' content.

Suddenly George - unnecessarily - broke the silence, "Meredith!"

"What?" the men asked in unison.

"Meredith! That was her name!"

"Ah-HA!" Henry pointed at him, as if accusing him of a crime.

"So you were thinking about her," Fernando gave raised an eyebrow.

"Oh no what have I done," George mumbled as he smacked his forehead.

"This isn't going to end, my friend!" Alexander joked, "You started it yourself!" and all the men laughed to their hearts' content.

Boys will always be boys.