Chapter Fourteen

"You didn't tell us how it went," Melissa whispered in a hushed tone as they got ready. After cutting it quite close to Tom figuring out they weren't in a fight, they were confined to whispers. Elizabeth had also realized that Tom believed she wasn't in a fight with Matilda, so to her luck, she had one person she could talk to in the eyes of others.

Elizabeth didn't respond, pulling her white socks up above her kneecaps. Every time there was silence, she heard Tom's slick voice muttering the word "horcrux." Elizabeth had the worst nightmare of her life the night before. It was of how she had acquired that awful piece of her soul that she wanted to destroy, but she knew if she did, she was as vulnerable as anyone else.

"Hello?" Matilda spoke again.

"It was fine," Elizabeth mumbled. She put on a pair of short black heels.

Walburga leaned against one of the posts on Elizabeth's bed. "Something happened, didn't it?"

Elizabeth couldn't let her own problems get in the way, not again. She smiled, "No, it was lovely."

"Alright... Elizabeth you know if anything ever does happen, you can tell us. If you ever need to talk or something...," Walburga offered, her kind green eyes looking at Elizabeth.

"I know," Elizabeth grinned. "If I need to talk I'll let you know," she lied, barely being able to hold the smile on her lips. "Come on Matilda we should get going to lunch, I'm starving."

"It's so unfair, you guys having to sit away from us," whined Walburga.

Melissa spoke up, "At least Elizabeth has someone to sit with. This whole situation is so twisted."

"In the end, Tom and Walburga will be together though," Elizabeth falsely reminded.

"Wal, you owe us like you don't even understand," Matilda put on her sweater and opened the door for Elizabeth.

"See you two later," Melissa waved.

"Remember, look at the instructions I gave you for how to get to the secret ball," Elizabeth whispered and disappeared with Matilda as the door closed behind them.

They walked up into the Common Room. Elizabeth put on her false frown as she saw Tom and his friends. He looked sideways at her. Matilda also noticed and spoke. "If I have to share a dormitory with those two for another minute I will go insane!" she complained.

"What are we supposed to do tonight? I don't have Slug Club and you don't have another book to read if I'm correct," Elizabeth made a point of letting Tom know that nothing was supposedly happening that night. The dance was hers and she wasn't going to let him take that away from her.

They finally made it to the door and started giggling. "I almost broke," Matilda admitted, her eyes squeezed shut from laughter.

"You're a better liar than me," Elizabeth laughed.

Matilda and Elizabeth made their way to the Great Hall, where students were running around as if something had gone wrong. Elizabeth's first thought was Grindelwald, but they seemed to be smiling. She finally saw Joshua and caught his eye as he ran over with Bonnie and another Gryffindor boy.

"What's going on?" Elizabeth inquired. Students were running in the direction that led outside. Her and Matilda began walking quickly next to Joshua and the others in the same way.

Joshua had a smile that brightened up the entire world, "The Quidditch game is on today! Slytherin versus Gryffindor!" He took off his coat and Bonnie did the same, "Here, take our coats and get out there quick, the seats are really filling up!" He handed the large coats to Elizabeth and ran ahead of them.