Chapter Twenty Three

Elizabeth sat blankly on the train. Her friends had not arrived yet. The train station was nearly empty, for she had arrived two hours early. She needed to think. After what had happened with her and Tom, she didn't know what to tell Joshua. Of course she felt different, there was no doubt about it. However, she hated herself. She hated herself because of what this means she had done to Joshua. He had been nothing but loyal to her. And Tom, Tom had left right in the middle of staying with her. Elizabeth didn't know why, but she woke up one day and he was gone, nothing but a note on her nightstand reading,

Elizabeth,
I apologize for my abrupt leave, but I have to take care of something. I had a grand time.
-TMR

She had read the letter a thousand times, trying to decide what it meant. Take care of what? Perhaps he didn't like her anymore, maybe he grew bored of her. She slept off the thoughts, only waking up when she felt a soft nudge on her shoulder.

"Beth?" Matilda whispered as Elizabeth opened her eyes. The train was moving. Elizabeth rubbed her eyes and sat up straight, seeing Melissa and Walburga sitting across from her. Matilda was by her side. "When did you get here?"

"About two hours ago," Elizabeth told them. She put her hand in her back in her pocket, feeling the piece of parchment that the note from Tom was on.

Walburga looked more tan, "Why did you get here so early?"

"I needed to think," Elizabeth said honestly.

"About what?" Melissa pondered, leaning forward.

"I saw a man that went to Baxtart's with. I had a small infatuation with him while I was there. When he came, him and I spent a lot of time together," Elizabeth lied to them.

Matilda frowned, "But what about Joshua?"

"I will come clean with him," Elizabeth said, but realized that was what she wanted to do as soon as she said it. "I will be right back," she stood, grabbing her bag and exiting the car.

When she reached the hallway, she made it halfway to the area that Tom usually sat in when she realized she had never opened Joshua's gift. Elizabeth quickly ducked into an empty car and pulling things out of her bag, searching for the small box. Once she retrieved it, she held it in her hands for a moment. She tore the wrapping off gently and a small velvet box was revealed. A locket dangling from a long silver chain laid inside. Elizabeth lifted it and held in her hand. She popped open the latch and saw inside two small pieces of paper. One of them read, "Can," while the other read, "age."

Elizabeth was extremely confused until she saw something written on the wrappings.

Elizabeth,
Merry Christmas! I hope you are doing well. This locket may be confusing at first, but it is the first and the last word from the edition of the Daily Prophet that brought us together. Remember, you were wondering if I had finished my paper? I kept that paper and had it under my pillow for the longest time. Anyways, I really hope you love it. I dearly wish I had a photograph of us to put in it, but for now, the words will do.
Happy Holidays,
Joshua

She was overwhelmed with happiness. Nobody had ever cared for her as much as Joshua did. Tucking her hair out of the way, she pulled it over her head, for the chain was long enough for her to do so. The locket hung right next to her heart. She was sure Joshua had done that on purpose. Elizabeth put the parchment in her pocket, exiting the car and walking back to her own, sitting down again. Walburga and Melissa weren't there.

"Sorry, I felt a bit ill, but I'm better now," Elizabeth informed Matilda. "Where did they go?"

"Tom," Matilda responded.