Chapter Twenty Six

As the weeks went on, life grew more complicated for Elizabeth. She first noticed the odd things occurring around February 8th. Walking down the hall on that cold morning, she saw her dear friend, Asher, for the first time in about a week. As if he were somehow avoiding her, as soon as she waved her hand, he literally ran away. That night, at dinner, she told her friends of the run in with Asher.

"Maybe he just isn't interested in you?" Melissa suggested.

Elizabeth shook her head, "No, it's not like that, we established that we would be just friends and nothing more."

"Could it be possible that he doesn't want to be associated with a Slytherin? We often have that prejudice against us, although we really are decent people," Walburga commented.

"Exactly," Matilda added.

Sighing, Elizabeth shook her head, "I suppose that could be the reasoning. I mean, Delaney probably brainwashed him into thinking that."

"I heard that they are in a relationship now," Matilda told the three girls.

"Really?" Elizabeth asked, baffled that Asher would date Bonnie's sworn enemy.

Their conversation concluded as Dippet took the stand. "Good evening, students. I do hope you have enjoyed your meal as much as I have," he greeted, earning a chuckle from the Hufflepuff table.

"He sounds serious," Matilda whispered. "What do you think he's got to say?"

"I don't know, but I don't think we're going to like it," Walburga answered in a hushed tone.

Dippet cleared his throat, "As you all know, the Grindelwald attacks have reached areas of the British isles."

"I don't like where he's going with this," Elizabeth whispered.

"Classes will resume as they regularly do, as will Quidditch," Dippet reassured the students. Many of the teenagers sighed, for Quidditch was all that they had. "However, the rule of traveling in pairs will be reinforced. Do not leave your Common Room unless accompanied by at least one other student or professor. Any student under the age of thirteen will need to travel with at least one student over the age of sixteen. Lastly, all trips to Hogsmeade will be canceled until further notice. Enjoy," he concluded and the food appeared on the tables.

Matilda took a piece of chicken, "Blimey, that sounded serious."

"You don't actually think Grindelwald will attack Hogwarts, do you?" Elizabeth asked them.

"We'll be okay. We have each other," Walburga held Elizabeth's hand and looked sympathetically across the table to Melissa and Matilda.

After they had finished eating, they began walking back to their Common Room along with the rest of the students. As Elizabeth was about to turn the corner, she felt a tug on her arm. She turned around and saw Joshua.

"Hey," Joshua greeted her, standing off to the side. "You all right? That news was a bit frightening."

"I'm a little nervous, but I think we are all in good hands," she told him.

Joshua sighed and drew her in, resting his chin on the top of her head, "Just be careful, okay?"

"I promise."

"Maybe one night Klaus and I can walk down to the Slytherin Common Room and pick you and Matilda up," Joshua suggested, pulling away and still holding her shoulders.

Elizabeth chuckled, "That would be nice."

He smiled and pulled her in, kissing her lips. They kissed for a brief moment, giving them both some hope in their situation. As they pulled away, Joshua gave a small smile and waved her goodbye.