Chapter Thirty Three

"Happy Birthday, Beth!"

Elizabeth opened her eyes to see her three friends standing over her. They were holding a small cake that would serve about four. Small flames were floating above it. She rubbed her eyes and sat up. The sunlight caused the lake to glow, sending a green tone over the room. "You remembered," Elizabeth laughed as she ran a hand through her hair to fix it.

"How could we not!" Matilda exclaimed, sitting at Elizabeth's feet. Walburga and Matilda sat across from them. It was a Saturday and Elizabeth was so happy.

"I can't believe our girl is sixteen," Walburga gave Elizabeth a sweet look. "I almost forgot you're so much younger than us."

Melissa agreed, "The same for me. Anyways, let's cut this cake!"

"She has to blow out the flames," Matilda pulled the dessert back from Melissa's grasp. "It's a muggle tradition, Beth told me about it a few months back."

"I always loved blowing out the candles," Elizabeth thought. She remembered the only time she celebrated her birthday at Baxtart's. Asher had snuck a cookie out from one of the professor's rooms. He brought a candle and Elizabeth had wished she could go home.

The girls sang her a birthday song and Matilda shoved the cake into her face, "Make a wish."

Elizabeth closed her eyes and blew out the candle. She opened her eyes and the three cheered.

"What did you wish for?" Melissa asked.

"She can't say, it's a secret," Matilda told her.

"Alright, well I am starving, so if I don't get a piece of this cake in me soon, I will go wild," Walburga reached for the three other plates.

They cut the cake and shared stories about their previous birthdays. Elizabeth became unnecessarily focused on her cake. She ate the last few bites while the girls had begun getting ready. Walburga was dressed and waiting for them. Matilda put on her shoes while Melissa slipped her arms through her robes. "Beth, is it okay if you meet us up there?" Matilda asked as the three fully dressed girls stood at the door.

"Oh, it's completely fine," Elizabeth set the plate down and wiped her mouth with her hand. "You girls go ahead."

"Alright, happy birthday," Matilda smiled.

Melissa waved, "Happy birthday!"

"Happy birthday, Beth," Walburga blew a kiss as she was the last to exit the room.

Elizabeth stretched and stood from the bed. She went throughout her routine, brushing her teeth and hair. She sprayed a bit of perfume onto her neck as a final touch. Pulling on her robes, she left the room. As she walked through the Common Room, she received a few greetings with "Happy Birthday" in them. She smiled politely and thanked them.

Tom was not among any of them. She walked out and up the familiar staircase. Even walking through the halls, students she didn't know wished her a Happy Birthday.

She turned the corner and felt herself bump into a familiar figure. When she looked up, her body became tense.

"Hello, Elizabeth," Joshua said quietly. "Happy Birthday."

"Thank you," she replied coldly. Elizabeth continued walking, but Joshua lightly pulled on her shoulder. She almost winced but didn't allow herself to.

"I still love you," he told her, sincerity in his eyes. Elizabeth bit the inside of her cheek. "This summer, I'm getting help," Joshua brought up at the lack of a response. "Real help, from a professional. I haven't had one sip of alcohol since...," he trailed off, remembering the night that had occurred two months prior.