Chapter Thirty Nine

"I know you are disappointed, my dear, but your parents are far too busy right now," Elizabeth's grandmother stroked her hair as she pulled her into an embrace. She was glad to see her grandparents on that platform, yet sad at the thought that her parents wouldn't see her. They had become so uninvolved in the past months, only coming around to clean up her mess with the ministry.

Tom talked with Elizabeth's grandfather, catching up from when they last spoke. Elizabeth noticed how happy her grandfather was to have another man to talk with.

"Elizabeth, darling, is Tom going back to the orphanage?" her grandmother asked in a whisper.

"I believe so," Elizabeth replied, not yet posing the idea of him staying, hoping they would come up with it themselves.

Her grandmother sighed, "I feel so bad for him, all alone in that orphanage, all summer." Suddenly, her face brightened up and she turned around to face Tom and her husband, "Tom, how would you like to come stay with us for the summer?"

Tom pretended to be baffled, "I cannot accept such a gracious offer."

"Oh, please, it would be no trouble at all," Elizabeth's grandfather brushed it off. "Besides, Elizabeth will need some entertainment since she won't be home with all of her books," he chuckled.

"Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find plenty to do. Tarpon Springs sounds like a wonderful place in the summer," Tom grinned. The elderly couple walked ahead while Elizabeth and Tom pushed their luggage behind, giving them some distance. As the walked side by side, they received strange glances from students who had become aware of their situation. "These fools think no one has ever committed infidelity at Hogwarts," he scoffed, observing the condescending glares.

"I agree, I think I've lost many friends, though," Elizabeth recalled how quickly her companions had changed on her.

"I think it was for the best," Tom muttered, pushing his trolley along.

"Now, our plan was to apparate all together, but I fear having both of your trunks may be a bit troublesome. Elizabeth, why don't you come with me, and Tom go with Harold," her grandmother suggested.

Everyone agreed. Elizabeth linked arms with her grandmother and held the handle to her trunk tightly, already having sent her owl to the Tarpon Springs home. She began succumbing to the familiar pressure and suction as she twisted through space. After a moment, her feet thudded against the kitchen floor of her grandparents' kitchen. A warm breeze blew through the curtains, for it was still mid-day there.

A moment later, Tom and Harold smacked down in the kitchen as well.

"You two go get unpacked, I will make everyone a late lunch," Harold told them, walking over to the cupboard.

Elizabeth and Tom dragged their luggage up the stairs and separated into their respective rooms. Everything was just as Elizabeth had left it, the curtains were drawn, the duvet of the bed wrinkled where she last sat, and the stationary out on the vanity where she had last written to Joshua. She walked over and ran her fingers along the quill, growing forlorn as she remembered what a terrible situation she was in.

She began unpacking and finished after no time at all. After she was done, Elizabeth walked over to the window and opened the curtains, basking in the warm sunlight which flooded her room. She missed the Florida sun so dearly.

"Enjoying yourself?" Tom asked, watching as she stood with her eyes closed.

Him sneaking up on her didn't startle her anymore, "Yes, very much."

"Are you coming down, I believe your grandfather's meal is ready," Tom said loudly, causing her to open her eyes and follow him down the stairs.

Once the four were seated and eating the warm soup, they began talking.