Chapter Thirty Seven: Serena

The floor tiles were cold on my knees. I shoved two fingers down my throat but all I could do was gag. I wanted the release. My eyes watered anyway and I pulled myself off the floor and sat on the closed lid of the toilet. Pulling the note from my hoodie pocket, there was no lock for me to secure the door. I thought for a minute before getting up again. I sat down and leaned on the door.

The note was rushed and ripped from a thicker binded book.

"I don't know what he told you, I made a deal with him. I'm only allowed to talk to you in your room, but aside from that we have bigger issues. Be careful around James and Danny. Also, the cameras. The ones you can see are there on purpose, so we know we're being watched. But there's a string of hidden cameras around here. I obviously don't know where, the next time we get to 'talk' don't give anything away, we will write down all of our conversations. Destroy this and be careful" Memes words were scribbled.

Oh God, I rubbed my temples before ripping the letter. Who is James really? Who are any of these people if they aren't who I thought? The pieces got smaller and smaller, I then wrapped it in toilet paper so they wouldn't separate and flushed.

Turning on the sink just for show. I jumped at a knock on the door.

"You alright?" James voice called.
I opened the door in reply and nudged past him. He tailed me.

"I changed my mind, can I go to the room?" I asked.

He sighed, I gave him a lot of shit earlier. But that's how I usually am in stressful situations.

"Yeah, go ahead" he said.

But then he followed me up the stairs, I began to get worried. I really didn't want to be tied up again. I tried to keep an eye on him. The last thing I wanted was a surprise attack.

"Don't look so scared, I'm not going to do anything" He said.
I tried to laugh it off but it sounded stressed.

"Seriously" He said softly.
But I wasn't buying it.
"I'm sorry I don't have trust in someone who's keeping me against my will" I half muttered.

"I wasn't the one who brought you here. This isn't how things were supposed to be" He said.

"So I wasn't a part of the plan. But that doesn't excuse you from taking Meme" I said sitting on the couch, far from the barred wall.

He sat down too.
"You wouldn't understand" He tried to argue.
"Try me" I said.
He started but stopped, hesitating.
"It doesn't matter, you're right. Don't trust me" He agreed getting up.

His tone, something about it. It reminded me of other people I've met, people that want to spill. Tell you something that's eating them up. I've talked to a lot of those and I am one of those. But just plainly, he reminded me of his sister. He ducked out of the doorway and closed the door behind him.

"One one-thousand" I whispered until I got to five.

After that I ran over to the door, locked, good. I unzipped the hoodie and threw it on the couch. I had some searching to do. I made sure I kept light on my feet, running to each corner of the room. Searching for cameras, nothing. There was some piles of stacked brown boxes littering the back of the room. Where would you hide cameras? I slowed my pace and switched facial expressions.

If I find a camera, they can't know I found one. Trailing a finger across one of the boxes I peered inside, crouching slightly. It was just guy clothes. Long sleeve flannels, sweat shirts, etc.

I headed toward the back of the room, picking a box from the top. It was very light, the one under it even lighter, but the third was very heavy. Only a tiny piece of tape keeping it closed. I looked up, I really wanted to look in it.

It was probably more clothes. I examined the sides, small scratches, a date, and someone's initials littered the side.

I heaved up the box. Picking at the tape, it peeled in one easy slice. The box opened and I dug around, girls clothes.

I was about to put it down when I pick up one shirt, it didn't want to leave the box. When it was free, I could see it fully. The shirt was drenched in dry blood. It was dark and stiff but easy could tell what it was. Slashes in the bottom of the shirt made me drop the box, It's contents fully littered the floor. I wanted to scream. More bloody clothes falling around me, I couldn't help but cry. Covering my mouth with my hand.

I'm going to die...

They're going to kill me just like whoever this girl was...

I wiped fallen tears off my face, frantically throwing everything back in the box. A photo album was the last to go. In my frantic antics the album slipped from my hands, falling and opening in the ground.

The only picture I could see was a girl. From what wasn't soaked in blood I could she was wearing a white dress. A knife poked menacingly from her stomach. It only got worse. Before I forced myself to look away she was engraved into my mind. The girl shared a striking resemblance to Meme. My stomach knotted. There was a lot more photos in the book, I didn't need to look, I already knew what happened.