Chapter Thirty Eight: James

After some time passed I decided to check on Serena. The hallway leading to the room was extremely quiet. Unlocking the door I stepped inside, not seeing her at first. She was cradled on the floor by the couch. I closed the door lightly behind me. Striding over to her. she had a hand over mouth and a haunted look on her features. She knew I was beside her, she didn't acknowledge me until I sat down next to her.

"Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

She sat up and looked at me, tears streaked through her makeup. Darkness under her eyes.

"I" her voice broke "I'm fine" She finished.

"I'm sorry... I know I don't really have the means to talk, but it isn't fair that you got swept up. I can't, well, won't do anything about it but... It's not fair" I said.

She wipes tears from her eyes.
"It's not that, well I guess the base is that. But it's," She stopped herself. Wiping her eyes "This isn't really a conversation for us, it's diff-" She stopped herself looking down at the back side of her hand, now painted in makeup.

"Oh God don't look at me" She said getting up and hiding her face.

"Wait, continue" I urged.

She waved me off.
"Forget it, I need to wash this off and reapply" She said walking away.

"Why are you even wearing makeup?" I called.

"That's a stupid question" Her voice trailed down the hall.

I followed into the hall, she was using the bathroom in Meme's room. I leaned against the wall, I don't need to go in to know she's washing her face.

God, even with a face of tears and streaked make up she was hot. I checked to see if Meme was in the room, too, she wasn't. So I headed back downstairs.

I sat back down on the couch, forcing Dalton to move his feet out of my spot. One thing was still leaving me with unanswered questions.

"Why did Serena get so uncomfortable around you?" I asked.

He laughed, keeping his gaze on the tv.
"I wouldn't say uncomfortable, more like jealous. She just wishes she wasn't just another hookup" He said putting his hand on the back of his neck.

I sipped my drink, "Hookup? So you guys...?".

"I mean she wouldn't let me tap that but she did go down on me. We've had a lot of sexual tension ever since" He informed.

For some reason I was surprised. I wasn't sure if I was surprised over the fact that Dalton had more than just his new girlfriend and his left hand, or the fact that she went down on anyone. Sure she was curvy and thick, the red hair, and the better then you attitude- at times- I just couldn't picture it.

"Was she good?" The boy in me had to ask.

He turned and looked at me, half smirk half smile.

"She was amazing. She does not fuck around, took me and my friend. Only took a few drinks" He said sounding proud.

The last part was kind of off, but I didn't challenge him.

After awhile, Dalton broke the silence with a question.

"Hey I haven't seen Danny or Meme that much today, what's up with that?" He asked.

"Yeah I know, he needs to give us a heads up if he's planning anything new. We're still figuring out the Serena situation, of course she had to open her mouth" I said.

"Not the brightest bulb. I go to school with her and she's always like that" He nodded his head.

"Oh so she knows pretty much everyone but me" I said.

"Ha yeah, but it's a big school. Sure she's gone down on pretty much everyone, I don't think that everyone includes the other guys" He said.

I nodded in understanding.
"I'm going to go check on Danny" I said getting up.

Dalton nodded, staying where he was. I ran up the stairs to Danny's room, knocking.

"What?" He snapped in muffled agitation.

I hesitated.  He seems angry, I noticed that he has become increasingly hostile lately. You didn't want to catch him on his bad side. Which was strange, despite kidnap he usually had a pretty soft front.

"Can I come in?" I called.

At first silence, followed by the door being swung open. Meme was on sitting criss cross on his bed and he was face to face with me.

"Yes?" He said through the cracked door.

"Can you come out here?" I asked calmly.

He sighed softly, stepping into the hallway.

"Yes?" He asked.

"...Are you okay?" I started.

He narrowed his eyes, I swallowed deeply.

"I just wanted to make sure that you guys are okay. I haven't seen much of you guys. Anyway, what's the deal with Serena?"  I asked quietly.

"We will have a discussion when Blake gets back. Until then, I don't want either of you bothering me unless it's about Blake or dinner. Got it?" He questioned coldly.

I nodded.

He headed back into the room, closing it with a dull click. He was having one of those days, again, where if he didn't get his way he treated you like you were nothing. If he was this cold for me I couldn't imagine Meme's end. He 'loves' her but she definitely knows how to piss him off.

I turned to leave when I noticed Serena stalking in the doorway of Meme's room.

"Are you coming downstairs or back to your room?" I asked.

She bit her lip lightly.
"I guess back to that room" She said.

I walked her back.
"So I heard you're pretty popular at school" I toyed.

She rubbed her neck uncomfortable.
"You did?" She said.

"Yup. Really popular with the boys, especially. Is it true?" I asked.

"Is what true?" She asked quietly.

"That you're really popular... Orally" I said.

Her cheeks got red.
"I don't want to talk about it" She said smally.

I raised my eyebrows at her, her body language increasingly getting uncomfortable.

She sat back at the couch and I sat with her. The red slowly fading her tinted cheeks. So it was true, not that I thought he lied.