Chapter Fifty Four: James

Her sobs turned to silent cries. I walked over to her, she covered her face, again. It was blatantly obvious that she was in even more pain than before. I also couldn't help but notice that in the midst of being hit, she had peed her pants. I ignored that. She was already dealing with enough, she didn't need the embarrassment.

"You're safe now," I said in a calming tone. "Let me see you" I gently pulled her hand from her face. "I just want to make sure you're not bleeding" I assured.

I picked through her crimson locks carefully. My finger tips stained red when I got to the back of her head. It didn't look as bad as I expected. I had already seen the small smear of blood around the caved in wall. The top of her forehead also dripped blood, my finger tips trailed lightly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think he would do this" I apologized.

She looked out of it as she closed her eyes for a brief moment. From her expression I almost didn't expect her to open them back up. Her eyes had a foggy sense of uncertainty as they tried to focus on me. We sat in silence, minutes ticking past as she fought to stay conscious.

"Geez, I think you might have a concussion" I said.

"I feel like I was hit by a train" she said hoarsely, putting a hand on the side of her head. I then noticed the bloody imprints of Danny's finger nails etched into her neck.

"I bet" I muttered.

I continued to examine her. What would of happened if I hadn't walked through the door? The thought weighed down on me until she broke me from the trance.
"Help me up?" She asked.

"Give yourself a moment, he just tried to put you through the wall" I said. The tension in the room was thick. She was swimming in pain and I could just watch.

With a nod, I pulled her up gently, trying my best not to hurt her further. She looked at the spot on the carpet where she had peed herself and her upset face became yet another shade of red.

"It's okay" I said again.

"You can say that all you want but nothing about this is okay," her tone wasn't asking for a fight, I mean, in a way she was right. "I need to take a shower" she tried to steady herself against the wall but stayed grounded.

"Do you think that's the best idea?" I was concerned that she could pass out.

This time she got up.

"I'll be fine" with shaking hands she fixed her shirt. She tried to walk but stumbled again and immediately shut her eyes as she rubbed her bruised skull.

"Just wait a little bit, until you're ready" I said, she nodded and winced.

We stood there for a few moments. Her breathing was still rampant as she tried to calm down. I put my arms around her like I was a security blanket. She rested her face on my chest.

"Do you want to sit down?" I asked.

She didn't answer me, instead she put her hands tightly around me. Eventually she eased off of me and we faced each other in silence. I wanted her to sit down so she wouldn't be able to hurt herself anymore than he had. But if she thought she was okay I wasn't going to force her.

I helped guide her to the bathroom, "just leave your dirty clothes over there when you're done" I pointed to a spot on the bathroom floor. "I'll get you some clothes" I said, she didn't protest.

I felt partially to blame because I had left her alone. I was just trying to get her prescription. Being honest with myself and my guilt, I would of never guessed how brutal he would be over this. The more the scene of Danny bashing Serena into the wall replayed in my mind like a movie. The more I convinced myself I couldn't let this go. I searched the house for him, running into Dalton in the process.

"Where is Danny?" My tone split between demand and questioning.
"In Memes room" he said before biting into a chip.

I turned to find him and Dalton called after me.

"Do not interrupt him, you're going to put him in another mood. Then it will be hell on everyone in this house, again" He put a lid on the dip he had been snacking on and made his way to the fridge.

"Yeah well I don't care, he just nearly killed Serena with the stunt he pulled" I said angrily.

Dalton took a swig from a tall, aluminum can, "Good. But like I said, storming in there is just going to make matters worse".

I wanted to yell at him for not caring about what just happened. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him. I also wasn't going to get anywhere with Danny. I'd have to let it all go.

I waited for Serena to get done for a long time. Waiting left me time to think. How did they get out in the first place? I questioned. Even though I cared about her safety, I still had a job to do. I opened the bathroom door. Serena had a towel wrapped around herself and was sitting on the closed lid of the toilet. She rested her head against the counter, her arm a cushion.

"Serena... how did you and Meme get out?" I already knew someone took my keys. It had to be Serena but I wanted to hear it from her.

"Please, I'm sorry" her voice was faint. She never took her head off the counter.

"How did you do it?" I asked again. The water dripping off of her crimson locks were tinted red as the dye lightly bled. It wasn't a fresh dye job. Everything about her was so put together yet she couldn't manage her words into an explanation.

I placed clothes on the counter, "get dressed". I turned to leave and she called out "no!" Desperately.

"Please don't leave me, please" she begged.

"I'll be right outside the-" before I could say anything else she cut me off.

"Please just stay in here. I'm scared" she was so vulnerable. This is where Danny would want Serena and Meme. He was good at controlling people and would manipulate a situation like this to his benefit. I on the other hand just nodded in defeat and watched the walls. Serena slipped into the clothes and stood before me.

"What if he tries to hurt me again?" She asked.

"If he wants to pull something like that he's going to have to go through me first" I reassured.

It was one thing when Serena and I fought. It's a whole other thing to just beat her senseless. I was just here to keep her in line, make sure she's doing what she's supposed to.

I looked Serena over. She wasn't wearing makeup, she just wore her emotions. She had raw beauty that she only altered when she painted her face. I wasn't sure what to do at this point. Would Danny really kill her? I thought about the color draining from her face. I thought about her cold and lifeless body on the floor. I didn't want that, I didn't want any part in that.

She held her black back brace in her hands along with her bra. I wanted to ask about it but this wasn't the time.

"Follow me" I said, opening the door of the bathroom.