Chapter Fourty Seven: Serena

I told myself I would never take them again. Here I was with the pills tucked inside of me. Sadness settling in. I was a different person when these were prescribed.

I swallowed hard again. No Serena, don't get worked up on the past. I breathed cautiously, my heart hurting. The pills represented much more than he will ever know. I'm not crazy but the thought of them just about made me insane. How could everyone expect to take something I didn't need. Their was people out there who truly needed them and here I was.

"Can I go back to Meme?" I asked.

I felt like I had swallowed a brick. His eyes first traveled my face, ever so slightly they made their way down to my chest, and then back to my face. He was thinking, about what- I wasn't sure if I wanted to know. He remained silent and his lips curved to the side.

I couldn't help but rush him, "Is that a yes?" I asked.

"No. It's a no, just stay put" He said somewhat sternly.

"Stay put? That's all I've been doing. Why can't I go back to her?" I pressed.

"Drop it. You don't need to see her" He rolled his eyes lightly.

I breathed in and closed my eyes, pressing my hand to my forehead. Why is everything so unnecessary and complicated?

"You can see her after breakfast" He said trying to get back to a topic I didn't want to touch on.

"I already told you that I'm not hungry" I said trying to sound convincing.

I was hungry, but I didn't want to admit. If I admitted it I would realize just how hungry I really am.

"Well you aren't seeing her until then" he enforced.

I just sat there, blocking the ultimatum from my mind. Instead I focused on his features, comparing them to his sisters. His hair was much lighter than hers. Her eyes kinder, but they both held a hard wisdom. I traced his lips in my mind and wondered if they were as soft as hers. Their personalities couldn't have been more different. I wonder if she loved to break my heart just as much as he thinks he breaks people.

"Are you a religious person?" I asked, investigating him further.

"What does that have to do with anything?" He asked.

"It depends on your answer" I said simply.

"I'm not playing your games, Serena" He said.

So he's smart, he knew me well enough to know that I had something more on my mind.

I continued to take note of him. His clothes were comfortable yet presentable. I moved my eyes down to his hands, short, jagged nails. I brought my gaze back to his face, even noting his hair. He was interesting, composed yet left with some loose seams.

I thought about my friends, what would they think? They would hate me. I will die with them having the uttermost hatred over me and then they will have to live with the unknown. I couldn't have that. I already had that done to me, I couldn't do it to them.

"Can I talk to Danny?" I asked.

James sighed and took out his phone, sending the request for me.

"What do you need?" James asked.

"I just have a few questions on my mind" I said running my hands through my hair.

He nodded, tapping away at his phone. It's weird when I really thought about it, James was holding the only device that could end all of this, yet, if the idea crossed his mind he didn't care to show it. Maybe he just didn't care at all.