✪chapter one✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

PRESENT DAY

     I was sitting on the couch in Nick's office as he sat quietly at his desk. I had my legs crossed carefully as I intertwined my fingers together in my lap nervously. I had been sitting on the couch for about ten minutes while Nick stared at me with his one good eye. You would think that he would be less intimidating with one eye, but no, he was actually quite scary.

He had called me into his office early in the morning so that he could talk to me—no doubt about how I had missed training the day before. I had decided last minute to skip out on it and, instead, I went back to my top-secret apartment with a gallon of Ben & Jerry's instead.

Nick sighed and sat back against his black chair, crossing his arms over his chest loosely as he looked at me again. "Seraphina, why did you miss your training yesterday?" Nick asked me.

What'd I tell you?

I chewed my lip, peeling the skin from my lip as my nervous tick. I hated when he was disappointed in me because I feel like I'm not doing all that I can to make up for ten years of him protecting me and keeping me safe from the people I was running from when he found me. "Honestly," I sighed, "I didn't really feel up to it. I was at home. You know what yesterday was." I looked down at my hands in my lap and fiddled with my fingers nervously.

He let out another sigh and leaned forward in his desk chair so that his arms were resting on top of the wood. "Seraphina," he spoke gently, which was so un-Fury like. "I know that it's been 21 years since your father died. And I know you're still broken up about it—"

"I was five years old, Nick," I interrupted him, harsher than I had originally intended. "I heard a noise downstairs, so, I went to see what it was. I saw my dad laying on the floor, in a pool of his own blood. I'm not 'broken up'. I'm in pieces. I'm traumatized. There's no moving on from that." I couldn't help but argue with his statement as I gritted my teeth together. I hated remembering the night my father died. It was the worst night of my life; the night that everything changed.

Nick sighed and leaned back in his chair again. "Sera, you can move on from that. You can make it less traumatizing. You just have to occupy your mind with other things. That's why I wanted you to train yesterday. I was hoping that you would go and work your ass off. All that anger you have pent up over your father's murder would make you a force to be reckoned with. If you would just apply it to your abilities and your fighting," Fury told me, crossing his arms over his chest.

I sat back down on the couch and rested my blow on the top of my knee while I rested my chin in the palm of my hand. "You know," I grumbled, "I wouldn't even have these abilities if those sickos hadn't done whatever experiments they did to make me this way."