✪chapter fifteen✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     It wasn't hard to break into the control center at the bridge. I'd been there a few times before and I knew the shift changes. I was able to short out the keypad so that we could get inside and then I followed behind Maria and Sam.

I caused a short in the dish that caused it to power out and then I waited behind Maria as she and Sam drew their weapons outside the door to the control room.

The door opened and Agent Moore stopped when he saw the guns. 

"Excuse us," Steve said simply.

Moore lifted his hands in surrender and let us in the control room. We made the agents leave the room and they left us to our own agenda.

She made a few swipes and then let Steve take the intercom mic, nodding that it was ready.

The three of us stood to the back of the room and he leaned into the mic.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers," he started. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth."

He paused and I watched him turn to look at me. My breath caught in my throat under the blue stare and I lifted my head up slightly, before he looked away from me again.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there.

"If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them.

"I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

I couldn't stop the skip in my heartbeat as I was listening to his speech. After being on the run with him the last few days, I forgot why he had become a symbol for America back in World War II. 

It wasn't because of the super soldier serum that he was injected with. It was because of his heart and what he stood for.

He was a real hero.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asked him simply at the end of his speech.

I giggled and joined Maria at the console. He chuckled at Sam and then turned to the two of us.