✪chapter ten✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     My head snapped up and my eyes landed on Steve coming toward me. Everything seemed to slow down again as I watched him approach me where I was huddled on the floor. The expression on his face showed how worried he was about me and also how relieved he was. 

"Steve," I whimpered.

I wanted to reach my arms out toward him like a child would reach for her parents, but I didn't because I didn't want to be desperate for his embrace. Every ounce of strength I had left was used to fight back every urge I had to throw myself into his protective embrace. 

The nerves in my body were alight as he lowered himself to the floor beside me.

"Where are we?" I questioned through my tears.

"We're back in D.C. You're safe now, I promise. You can trust Sam, he's a friend," he assured me. He started to reach his hand out toward my face, but he froze halfway. I could see on his face that he was hesitated to touch me, like he was afraid of something, but all I wanted was for his skin to touch mine.

I didn't tell him, nor did I make it known in anyway that that was what I wanted. I turned my gaze up to search his face, seeing that he was already searching mine as well.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Steve asked me gently.

I closed my eyes, trying to remember something—anything—but I couldn't remember much after the explosion. "I remember the explosion," I answered softly, looking back into his beautiful blue eyes has I sniffled.

He sighed relatively soft and looked at me with an equally soft gaze. "We got back to the truck after that and you passed out in the backseat. You had a hard time catching your breath," he told me.

I tried racking my brain to remember that, but I couldn't. I could only remembered the explosion and the force field that I didn't know I could create. "I-I don't remember that. I just remember the explosion and thinking I was gonna die. I couldn't get under your shield before the rubble started to fall on us. I threw my hands up on of instinct. When it was over, I saw a force field around me," I told him.

He looked at me with astonishment. "I didn't know you can create force fields," he said.

My tears came faster and I shook my head at him. "Ne-Neither did I," I cried softly. I buried my face back into my knees, and I felt him move closer to me. He wrapped his arms around me and I shuddered, sinking further into his arms. "I was waiting to die. But, I didn't and when it was over, I-I saw the force field. Then, I dropped my hands and the force field was gone," I cried.

"We'll figure it out, Seraphina. I promise. We'll figure this all out," Steve assured me. "Sam told me that you were terrified when you saw him. What happened when you woke up?" Steve asked me.