✪chapter two✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     Nick offered to give me a ride home after my training session with Natasha, but I could tell that there was something else going on with him. He was quick to get me out of the building and into his car after I had showered and changed at the end of my workout. If I didn't trust him explicitly, I would've been panicked.

Something was on Nick's mind, and I knew it when he requested his car to initiate the encryption protocol on his communications.

"Activating communications encryption protocol," the AI's voice spoke. I sat in the passenger seat beside Nick and watched him curiously and with confusion as he continued to stare out of the windshield.

"Open secure line 0405," he ordered the AI in his car.

"Confirmed."

In the left hand corner of the windshield, the computer showed Maria's face as the call connected to her. "This is Hill."

"I need you here in D.C," Nick told her. "Deep, shadow conditions." I furrowed my eyebrows together as I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach.

There was a brief pause before she answered him. "Give me four hours."

"You have three. Over."

And then the line disconnected.

I turned to Nick and my worry was readable on my face. "Nick, what's going on?" I asked him. He pulled up to an intersection and stopped the car since the light was red. I didn't take my eyes off of him and he didn't answer my question. "Nick," I pushed.

He sighed but still didn't look at me. "You'll be safer if you don't know the answer to that question, Seraphina," he told me.

"Nick," I pushed again.

"End of discussion, Seraphina. I'm taking you home until I know you'll be safe."

I groaned and turned my head away from him, crossing my arms over my chest in defeat. I looked out of the passenger window and paused when I saw the cop car pull up beside us. The cop in the passenger seat started to stare at me sternly with sunglasses on his face. I felt nervous under his stare and gulped, reaching my hand over to tap Nick's arm.

I yanked my gaze from the cop's and looked at Nick. "Uh, Nick," I murmured. He looked at me when he heard my fear and I moved my eyes in a gesture to the window behind me and his eyes fixed on the cop car. I leaned back in my seat and tried to stay calm.

"Want to see my lease?" Nick questioned the cop, even though both my window and the cop's windows were up. I saw the cop in the passenger seat speaking into his radio but I couldn't read his lips to make out what he was saying. The one in the driver seat reached down and his siren made a sound as his lights began flashing, all while he kept staring at me with a scowl on his face.