✪chapter seven✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

The sun was lower in the sky, almost completely gone, by the time Steve pulled off of the main road and onto a dirt path. Natasha was also finally awake from her little catnap. She woke up after the awkward moment between me and Steve when he had asked me how my vitakinesis worked. 

I sat up in my seat as the GPS said that our destination was straight ahead. A tall chainlink fence came into view as Steve began to apply pressure to the brakes. We pulled up close to the fence and then Steve stopped the truck, putting it in park. 

We all opened our doors and I slid out of the truck. I wiped my hands on my shirt to smooth it out as I swung the passenger door shut again. It was echoed by Steve and Natasha closing their doors and then Natasha stood beside me with her phone in her hand.

"This is it?" Steve questioned her as the three of us approached the tall fence.  

"The file came from these coordinates," Natasha answered him as she slid the phone into her pocket. 

"So did I," Steve said remorsefully, glancing up at the rusted "Camp Lehigh" sign. He grabbed the chainlink gate and pulled on it, causing the metal to creek as it slid open. Natasha and I slipped through it first, Steve following behind me once I was through. 

We lingered through the camp, Natasha holding her tracking device in the air to check the readings in the vicinity. I just trekked in silence, even when Steve came up beside me as we walked.

I didn't look at him, and he didn't say anything, even though I had a suspicious feeling that he had originally wanted to talk to me.

The sun quickly set in the sky, making it dark in the empty training camp, and I felt a little more creeped out without the sun. We were walking close to the barracks now, Natasha still trying to find some kind of readings, and that was when Steve finally spoke.

"This camp is where I was trained."

I wasn't sure if he was trying to make conversation with me, or just break the silence in general, but I decided that it was best to not ignore him anymore. "Change much?" I inquired.

"A little."

He stopped walking as he stared at an old, eroded flagpole and I could tell that he had become lost in a memory, so, I turned to Natasha, climbing up on to the walkway of the barracks with her. She looked at me strangely, glancing between me and Steve, but I just looked away from her.

"Everything okay?" she asked me softly.

I looked back at her and nodded my head, pulling the corner of my lip between my teeth nervously. "Yeah, everything's fine," I told her.