✪chapter four✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     A tactical team flooded the hallway of the 25th floor in the Triskelion as I peeked out the door of the stairwell, going unseen. Steve Rogers was standing in an elevator, his shield on his left arm as he took notice to all of the guns of the TACT team aimed at him. "Drop the shield and put your hands in the air!" one ordered.

I gulped when I saw two TACT team agents enter my own office. My eyes widened when I finally realized why Fury told me to stay away from S.H.I.E.L.D. after the attack on his SUV. 

Something wasn't right at S.H.I.E.L.D. and it led to his death.

Now, it was going to lead to Steve Rogers' death—and mostly likely my own.

Steve spun around and the next thing I knew, the elevator was falling and the doors were still wide open. I knew he had to be headed for the ground floor, so, I quietly closed the door to the stairwell and ran as fast as I could down the stairs.

I tried to keep my head down as I passed by some people in the stairwell because I just didn't know who to trust, just like Nick had told me. A few people tried to catch my attention, but I ignored everyone as I rushed down the stairs, skipping steps along the way.

Once I made it to the ground floor, I exited the stairwell and ran through the courtyard in time to see a familiar shield and body collided with the ground. I skidded to a halt with my eyes wide and my mouth hanging open. He jumped from the fucking elevator and fell at least 20 stories!

I regained my baring when I noticed him trying to pull himself to his feet. I ran outside the doors and right to him. "Come on, Captain! We gotta go!" I told him, wrapping both of my hands around one of his biceps to pull him up.

He looked up at me with surprise and when he was on his feet, he pulled his arm away. "Who are you?" he asked.

I frowned. "Right, I've been invisible," I muttered. I shook my head and looked up at him. "I'll explain everything, but right now, we gotta get out of here. They came for you, but they're gonna come for me. Nick was my mentor and my friend," I told him quickly.

He didn't question me again and we took off. "We gotta go to the hospital," Steve told me as we ran. "I need to pick up something."

"Like what?" I questioned.

"You want me to trust you with little explanation, so you'll have to trust me with little explanation. Come on," he said. 

We ran into the garage and he led me to his bike. He jumped on and started the engine. Once he had the kickstand up, I jumped on the back of it.

With no backrest, I was left with no option but to hold onto to Steve but it was a little hard to do with his shield on his back.

The exit from the garage to the bridge started to close and he warned me to hold on and duck. I did, and he jumped right through the gates as that closed on us. One of the S.H.I.E.L.D. jets flew in front of us. "Stand down, Captain Rogers," a voice came from the speakers on the jet. But we kept going. I saw one of the automated guns come from the jet and the voice came again. "Stand down! I repeat, stand down!" Steve sped up the bike and ducked low as the gun started firing. I ducked behind him as he started weaving the bike to dodge the bullets.