✪chapter eighteen✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     I rode with Natasha to the cemetery because she said she had to meet Steve there. I didn't know why he was at the cemetery but I went along for the ride anyway.

When we got there, I saw Steve and Sam talking with a hooded man in front of a tombstone. It took me a second to recognize the hoodie as Nick's. We walked up to them just as Fury walked away and I happened to have missed what he told them beforehand. 

But Natasha didn't.

"You should be honored. That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you," Natasha told the guys as they turned to face us.

Steve walked over to join us. "Neither of you are going with him?" he asked us.

"No," Natasha and I answered at the same time, making me smile softly.

"Not staying here?" he asked us.

"Seraphina is but I'm not. I blew all my covers. I got to go figure out a new one," Nat said.

"That might take a while," Steve told her, stealing a glance at me as I was looking at him, too. I blushed and looked at Natasha.

"I'm counting on it," she said. She looked down at the file in her hands and handed it to him. "That file you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." She handed him the file and he took it in his hands. He just stared at it so, Natasha said, "Will you do me a favor? Call that nurse."

My heart stopped beating upon hearing her say that and I looked away from them, not wanting to show how it hurt me to hear that.

"She's not a nurse," Steve said.

"And you're not a S.H.I.E.L.D agent," Nat argued.

I kicked the rocks softly with the toes of my boots and heard Steve's voice again. "What was her name again?" he asked Natasha. My heart broke, but of course I knew he'd consider it.

"Sharon," Natasha said. "She's nice," she said.

"Yeah, she is," Steve started. "But I don't think it would work out anyway," he finished.

Nat and I were both quiet but I looked up slowly to watch her kiss his cheek in a friendly way. They looked at each other and then she started to walk away. 

"Be careful, Steve," she said, turning again to look at him. "You might not want to pull on that thread," she warned.

Steve looked down at the file in his hands and opened it as I saw Sam coming back toward us. I took that as my cue to leave him alone. 

"I should probably—" but Steve cut me off quickly.

"Will you stay? Please?" he asked.

I swallowed and nodded, my heart thudding in my chest.