Merlin and Harry Potter 1: Who Are You?

All he could feel was cold. Cold and darkness pressing down. So heavy, so heavy. He knew he should open his eyes, but he couldn't. He knew he should think of faces and voices of friends, of times of laughter and warmth but he could not. There was no such thing as warmth here. Trying to think, all he remembered was pain. There was no such thing as happiness. Soon he even forgot the pain, his mind blank and new.

However he felt something. He was filled with a purpose he knew not. Suddenly he breathed. The dark was gone, replaced with light. The cold was gone, replaced with warmth. He knew happiness was real, again. Even so he still could not open his eyes, nor remember, but one word was in his mind and refused to be forgotten. A word that was more a name. Arthur.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry was still angry that he'd been left in the dark all summer as to the movements of Voldemort, but he could not blame his friends. Instead he tried to cheer up and have fun with them before the summer was out. Ron and Hermione had informed him that twelve Grimmauld Place, the place they were staying till school started,  was headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix. Despite the grungy and dark overtone of the house, he was quite happy as he would indeed be returning to Hogwarts for his fifth year of schooling. Plus he would have plenty of time to talk to his godfather, Sirius Black, the closest thing he had to real family.

So it was that when they were called down to dinner the evening of his ministerial hearing, he felt a true smile grace his features to be surrounded by those he loved. The smell of Mrs. Weasley's cooking was enticing and his mouth watered at the prospect of downing whatever delicious concoction she'd made this time. Though he was wary to sit near the twins, having seen their mischievous faces grinning like mad. He didn't want to be on the receiving end of one of their pranks, or worse a new invention of theirs. Instead he sat between Sirius and Ron, two of the best people in the world. Hermione sat across from him next to Ginny, and both girls were laughing at Tonks as she made pig noses at them, literally. He felt at home once more after the grueling weeks he'd spent with the Dursley's.

Finally as the food was set and everyone had taken their seats about to eat, conversations stopped and everyone stared wide eyed as a golden light filled the room. Harry felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. He was pretty sure everyone else felt powerful magic just as he was. The light dulled and they were able to see, what looked to be three cloaked and hooded old ladies. Only their mouths could be seen from the cloaks covering their heads. Before Harry could blink almost every adult in the room had drawn their wands. If he focused hard enough, Harry would swear the old ladies were smiling. Without a mouth moving a woman's voice filled the air,

     "We are the Disir, and we do not come to harm, but to help. The rising of the one who refuses death, even though she wishes to claim him, has upset the balance of this world. Magic is in danger, she is angry and will not be appeased till the balance is restored. We come to you now to offer help" The voice stopped, and another blinding light formed in front of them. When it faded however a boy hovered in the air, golden smoke surrounding him. He looked to be no more than fifteen, Harry's age, but the young wizard could not see breath stir the boy's body. He thought for a moment that perhaps he was dead.

     "Destiny has already decided who in this room will defeat the one that is evil, but to get there you will need help." one of the ladies gestured to the boy who still floated in the air. Harry felt like they'd been looking at him while talking of destiny and evil. He felt a shiver in his spine.

     "This is Emrys, he is here to protect and serve. He is our gift to you in these dark times. Good luck." With that the ladies disappeared as quick as they'd come and the boy was gently laid on the floor. Harry blinked and looked at Hermione and Ron. They looked just as confused and shocked. They looked back to where the boy lay as his chest rose and fell, finally breathing. Slowly his eyes opened to reveal their bright blue color. He seemed to struggle to sit up, and he looked about himself with a terrified face.