Kings and Coins

Merlin dared not turn to look behind him. He could feel Arthur's gaze bare into him and he could not work up the courage to face him. He felt a hand on his shoulder and suddenly Merlin was whipped around to see Arthur no more than two inches from his face. Anger, hurt, and fear twisted in the princes eyes each emotion fighting for dominance.

    "Run." Arthur half growled in Merlin's ear. Merlin looked at him in shock. Arthur grabbed Merlin's shirt and shoved him towards the trees.

    "Go, now Merlin! Run!" Arthur practically shouted, despair making his voice shake. Merlin didn't dare to disobey his master twice. He turned and disappeared in the growing twilight.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Arthur swallowed down the bile in his throat at the thought of what he'd just done, for Merlin no less. It was treason. He turned slowly back to the dying battle behind him, his knights making quick death of the mercenaries. Without really waiting for his knights to prepare themselves he commanded for them to head to Camelot and soon they sat upon their steeds making good time. The would reach the citadel before nightfall.

The prince didn't speak accept to give orders when needed until they entered the courtyard. Arthur hurried to the physicians quarters, one goal in mind: answers.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Merlin continued to run though his lungs ached for air and his muscles burned. He could barely see the path ahead, if it was indeed a path. He had no clear destination in mind. As was bound to happen sooner or later, Merlin stumbled in the growing dark and found his world flip upside down. He landed on the leafy floor of the forest with a thump and the wind knocked out of him, not that there had been much there to begin with.

He looked up at the sound of rustling and saw hooded figures surrounded him. Merlin relaxed slightly as he recognized the magical presence of Druids. He quickly stood and he met their curious gazes with his own. An older man with white blonde hair stepped forward and smiled slightly.

    |Hello Emrys.| Merlin heard the voice in his head |You are in need of shelter for tonight my Lord?| Merlin frowned at the 'Lord' comment but nodded all the same. The Druid bowed slightly before turning and walking away. The others followed his example, retreating with a quiet Merlin would've thought impossible. He hesitated for a moment before following.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The door to Gaius's room slammed with the force of Arthur's hand. The two occupants of the room jumped in surprise. Morgana glared at Arthur as her eyes slowly faded from the magical gold he was now used to. Gaius looked at the prince questioningly.

    "Magic." Arthur snarled at the physician. Gaius' eyebrows furrowed, and Morgana looked at him like he'd gone mad.

    "What about it?" She asked testily. Arthur didn't spare her a glance keeping eye contact with Gaius.

    "Merlin." He stated simply, and Gaius's expression went from confusion to a blank mask. Morgana's eyes widened comically as she looked between Arthur and Gaius.

    "Merlin?" She asked, still not understanding what was going on.

    "Yes, Merlin has magic. Does he not?" Gaius looked at the siblings for a moment before nodding solemnly. Morgana looked mildly surprised before smiling kindly, excited at having a partner in her training. Arthur turned from them and rubbed his face, suddenly weary. He heaved a great sigh.

    "What's wrong with that?" Morgana asked defensively at Arthur's reaction. Arthur whirled at her with narrowed eyes. 

    "Everything. He's lied to me for six years! Six years I trusted him completely and he lied! Besides the fact he practices magic, which if you've forgotten is illegal!"

    "I practice magic! What's the difference?"

    "I'm alright with you because you told me about it the moment it manifested, and your not really practicing more learning to control it! Besides you're my sister, you're royalty, you get a pardon! Merlin, a servant, a farm boy not even from Camelot doesn't!" Arthur growled at her. Morgana narrowed her eyes in anger.

    "What about Merlin your friend? Does he not get a pardon?!"

    "No!" Arthur answered immediately. 

    "Might I interject sire?" Gaius said calmly. Arthur snorted in his direction as a means to give him permission to speak.

    "Merlin only lied so that he would not get his head chopped off. I can't say I blame him, but lying to you tore his heart apart. He was raised to lie, taught to hide himself, it's not entirely his fault. Besides which he only ever used his gift to help others, especially you. You have no idea how many times he's saved yours and Uther's life with his magic." Not once did Gaius raise his voice and this scared Arthur more than if the man were shouting in righteous anger. Arthur sighed and slumped in defeat. Despite the betrayal he felt he was glad Merlin had obeyed him for once and ran whilst they were in the forest. He could only hope none of his knights had seen what transpired, and that Merlin would stay away for now.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Merlin woke as the sun just peeked over the tree tops. He sat up slowly and looked about him. The faded red color of his tent made the air look hazy and distorted. He rolled up the blankets he'd been given the night before, and made his way outside. The sight that greeted Merlin made him smile more than he ever had before.

All around him people were muttering spells and objects flew around to do as commanded. Magic, pure, clean, beautiful magic hummed in the air, and Merlin nearly laughed at the sensation. The Druid camp was the complete opposite of Camelot, and for the first time in a while he felt free

A few early rising children ran about chasing each other in a simple game. For a few moments Merlin watched their innocence and his heart warmed. He'd rarely seen children this carefree and happy, and it caused his soul to ache with joy.

    "I've always liked watching the camp in the morning as well. Somehow it lightens the heart and mind, does it not?" Merlin glanced at the Druid who had found him last night, and nodded.

    "I'm Merlin. You are?" Merlin stuck out his hand to the Druid. The man cautiously gripped Merlin's hand.

    "I am called Iseldir, it is a great honor to meet you Emrys." Merlin blanched slightly.

    "You, you really don't need to call me that. I'm not that special, just a servant." Iseldir looked at him incredulously, though he didn't question.

    "Come, I will introduce you to my clan." Merlin bit his lip, but followed as Iseldir moved off. As they walked Merlin noticed that every Druid seemed to stare at him as he passed by. He fought the urge to fidget as their gazes stayed upon him. Iseldir suddenly stopped, and Merlin barely avoided crashing into the man. The Druid chieftain turned to his people with a solemn look on his face.

    |The one we've waited for has come. He is here. Our Lord Emrys is among us, and I believe he is everything we believe him to be, let us welcome him. Hail Emrys Lord of the Druids!| Merlin almost flinched at the cheering in his mind from the Druids. He didn't know what this Lord stuff was about, but if it meant the Druids were happy even though still persecuted, he would put up with it. Still no matter how hard he tried, and how free and happy he felt, in that moment Merlin couldn't find it in himself to smile, a heavy weight settled in his chest as a feeling of foreboding rose in his throat and he felt the urge to scream.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

So what do you think? Eagerly awaiting next installment? To be honest I only wrote this because I haven't been working as hard as I should on my other two shorts stories, Angels of Albion and Merlin and Harry Potter. Basically this is my apology story, and yes their will be a continuation.

God bless,

Sereh

WDJD12 does not own Merlin (I wish), it belongs to the geniuses, and heart breakers at the BBC