The Angels of War

Merlin froze watching his ally crash to earth. He had not thought of his vision of the angel's death recently and with the success of preventing Lancelot's death, his vision had been far from his concentration. Freya made her way to the bleeding angel, sending blasts of earth and shadow at any who tried to stop her. Seeing the soldier was to be taken care of, Merlin refocused his attention. 

     He twisted in midair and slashed through the neck of an attacking opponent. The Albion angels were fighting with renewed vigor, but recklessly. Another reason Merlin tried not to befriend them. In battle, rage clouded better judgment. He swept his upper wing into the feet of an enemy that had cornered Gwen, throwing his balance and allowing her to cut through his armor. She screamed with the force of her blow. A few feet away Percival hacked into two opponents near-simultaneously, his forceful blows leaving them daunted and defeated. 

     Merlin glanced around looking for any good openings. He was met with a face full of metal and feathers as one of the opposing soldiers attacked with great speed. Caught unawares, Merlin dodged and parried solely through muscle memory. His opponent slashed and stabbed and waved around her spear attempting to injure him. Merlin was acutely aware that the only thing between him becoming a shishkebob was the thin hoodie and t-shirt he wore. He desperately wished he had his father's armor. Anything was better than simple cotton.

     A jab at his head brought the conflict back into focus. Merlin ducked, a hair too slow, and the spear sliced his hood to shreds. Having loved his sweatshirt for nearly six years, Merlin bellowed out a cry that seemed to freeze everyone in place. He was tired of losing things to all this angel, supernatural, crazy bullshit! He felt his eyes burn brighter as the enemy soldiers cried out clutching their heads and throats and stomachs. At that moment they saw their own deaths and how imminent it was.

     For Merlin, he felt weightless and out of control. He knew he could do some strange things by angels standards and this wasn't the first battle he'd lost control in. However, something was different this time, something had changed. He heard, distantly, the voice of Arthur saying something but he couldn't make sense of it. Then the enemy fell falling to shadow as they died, and Merlin, growing tired, fell with them.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

     It took Arthur longer than he would admit to respond to Emrys, or rather Merlin, falling at increasing velocity. One sharp flap of his great wings and throwing his sword to the side, the Camelotian heir had caught the legend, slowing his descent to gently set him on the ground below. 

    The girl, Freya, Arthur recalled, turned from Gwaine her skin no longer dark nor her face twisted in anger. She had regressed to the normal human he had met her as. She came to Emr- Merlin and checked him over. Arthur turned from them, his concern for his knight heavy in his chest. Gwaine was conscious but pale, sweaty, and practically heaving as he tried to breathe. 

      "So all it took-- for the princess- to come-- down from on high was me- dying?" Gwaine smirked at Arthur. Arthur frowned as Percival huffed an amused sigh. 

      "Maybe next time just ask me out for a drink first?" Arthur replied somewhat irritated. Gwaine smiled before laying back, a small moan escaping him. Black blood had started to come from his mouth. 

     "I'm sorry. I've done what I can, but I am not a healer by nature. Thats more of a Merlin thing." Freya spoke from beside her unconscious friend. Arthur nodded at her, keeping his eyes on Gwaine's pain-filled face.

     "Can you do anything for his pain?" Arthur murmured. Freya glanced at him before focusing on the kings knight.
     "Yes."
     "Will you?"
     " ... Yes."
   Freya once again kneeled by Gwaine's side. She gently touched his shoulder and a shadow rose in her skin, darkening it like an eclipse. The darkness flowed seeking out the blood of Gwaine's wound. The knight gasped as the dark found it and his faced smoothed over.

     "I think I could go another few rounds. Eh? What do you say princes --" His eyes glassed over. Gwaine, knight of Albion melted in a blinding light as if the sun itself had come to earth.
..........................................
   Merlin slowly remembered what happened. His secret was out and an angel was dead. He opened his eyes and sat up clothes damp from the soft grass.
   The fallen angels sat a few feet away all staring at nothing dealing with their grief. Merlin felt sympathy for their pain but beyond that felt nothing. He ignored the twinge of something deep in his chest. It didn't matter.
   A hand touched his arm lightly and Merlin turned to see Freya kneeling next to him, her eyes sorrowful.

     "It was painless." She said. Merlin nodded. Good. He turned to the wallowing group.
     "What are you all doing, just sitting there? You lost a friend, ok, now what?"

   Gwen looked up and sneered at him, Percival looking on in disbelief.
     "Yes, he is dead. So give us one damn second Merlin. Or should I say Emrys? Oh great and powerful Emrys what were you doing instead of helping him, hmm? You were having a nap!" Arthur ended in a shout, having come closer to Merlin.
   The once secret angel sighed at the kings reaction.

     "Did you miss the part where I took care of every single enemy left? Sorry but that shit takes power and I may be strong, but not that strong." Merlin hissed.
     "Look, I'm sorry you lost your friend. But those angels somehow came from above without being cast out. That means this world is in danger. That means I'm going to fight to protect it. So get off your arses and help me figure out how to attack and, maybe, you can avenge your friend."

   Lancelot stared at Merlin sadly before his face resolved into determination.
     "Sire. With ... Emrys on our side we have a chance to take out Morgana. If we can do that all of this will not have been in vain." Arthur glanced at Lancelot acknowledging his statement.
     "Fine. We need to get armor and contact Annis. Be ready to fly in a weeks time," Arthur paused and stared at the two earthbound beings, "and Emrys is going to explain. Everything."
   Merlin narrowed his eyes at the cold tone and anger filled eyes. Tilting his head he shrugged.
     "No problem, my lord."
.............................................................

Are your armies gathered?
Yes, we are ready
We will be with you soon
Good
For the love of Albion
For Albion
............................................................

   Arthur glanced at the angel beside him. Just a few days prior he had been a simple if annoying human. Now the warrior next to him was anything but simple. Still annoying though.
   Merlin returned the look with a raised eyebrow and Arthur glowered. Merlin smirked and unfolded his wings.
   Although Arthur disliked the angel, the process of unfoldong his four wings was a sight to behold. Small white lines that formed the wings shape lifted from Merlin's skin and sprung behind him colored and glowing. Like an artists stroke.
   Arthur turned his gaze forward and unfurled his own massive wings. Merlin shot high into the atmosphere a burning golden comet. And Arthur followed with a cry from his knights.

   Morgana's reign was over.

........................................
So originally there was going to be one more part, but i kight break it into two. We'll see.
Please forgive spelling errors I wrote this on my phone.

S.T.
Merlin ain't mine.