Kings and Coins 2

Arthur sat as still as possible at the right hand of his father. A proclaimed sorcerer kneeled before the throne and Uther's rage in obvious fear. Arthur could not see how the scrawny and weak man before him could be evil, but his father was practically shaking with hatred and disgust. The prince was even more glad he'd told Merlin to run a week ago.

    "You are charged with the crime of enacting enchantments and sorcery. According to the laws of this land you shall be beheaded tomorrow. Take him to his cells." Two guards dragged the man away, the sorcerer being too weak to walk. Arthur caught Morgana's glare of anger at their father and suppressed a sigh. He hoped she wouldn't do anything rash. The only other people in the courtroom that looked mildly displeased were the ones who had helped he and Morgana retake Camelot from the witch Morgause.

Uther, who had been weakened by the betrayal of his brother in law Agravaine, now came back from his sickbed with a passion. Unfortunately a passion of hatred against magic. Arthur's father was convinced Agravaine had been under a spell when everyone knew he had not. The King also blamed magic for the subsequent death of Lord De Bois and many of his citizens whilst under Morgause's tyranny. Of course this meant that he had to go on another killing spree of the magical community and harden his own daughter's heart even more.

Arthur made his way to his chambers and dismissed his temporary manservant. He fully intended to get Merlin back if he ever found the warlock. His brooding was interrupted as his inner circle, the Order of the Round as it were, made their way to him at lengthening intervals. Finally Morgana and Gwen arrived, and his sister practically steamed in anger. Arthur ignored her for a moment to gently kiss Gwen on the cheek in greeting.

    "Well, if you're just going to snog all day I guess I'll have to start the meeting." Morgana huffed. Arthur gave her look, and she almost smiled.

    "So is this one going to look like an accident, the quote sorcerer overpowering people, or he just disappeared in the night?" Gwaine asked with almost bored expectation. Everyone grinned at that. Ever since they had found out about Merlin and Arthur's pushing his escape they had decided to give other innocents a chance and made an escape chain they were all quite proud of. Most of them being trusted members of the court were beyond doubt, and with a little bit of misdirection courtesy of the magical Lady Morgana it was almost too easy. 

Arthur however saw what everyone else didn't. Soon after the first sorcerer 'escaped' Uther's anger would rise, and Arthur was sure that he would soon start searching for magicians rather than wait to have them brought to him. The prince also feared Uther would turn on the peaceful Druids and have them slaughtered if he couldn't enact his revenge soon. The only problem was Arthur was far from willing to let any innocent die. If ever a sorcerer was caught and they truly used their gifts for the wrong ends everyone had agreed to let them be punished. Only no sorcerer with evil intentions was ever caught. It was quite a conundrum and made Arthur have awful headaches if ever he thought too long or hard on the subject.

It was those times he desperately wished Merlin was still in Camelot.

    "Well which one have we not used in a while?" He asked.

    "The overpowering one. That one is always complicated, as they never seem strong enough, or they simply don't wish to harm anyone." Guinevere supplied.

    "Or they don't have magic at all." Elyan added. Everyone silently agreed.

    "Alright then, Morgana could you do the magic and we'll just convince the man to act as if he is responsible. Gwen, Gaius, if you could pack some food and water for him and meet us at the south gate. Percival, you and I'll talk to the man, and Gwaine, Leon, Elyan you be sentries at the critical points." Nobody questioned his orders and they all hurried to perform their duties. Percival and Morgana stayed with him.