Chapter 3 - Excerpt - Opportunity knocks - Legion & Amelia get into a fight

“Amelia, earlier today there was some unusual nephilim activity outside Zebul. It could mean someone is planning a second attempt to try to use you and Raum against me. Up to now you have withstood my best efforts to move your residence down to Zebul. But with everything that has happened, I believe it’s the only safe place for the both of you. It’s just too difficult to protect you up here where you’re openly vulnerable.”

    “Zebul…that is the last place we should be trying to raise our son. You won’t even let me come down without an escort. How is it suddenly going to be safe for our son?”

   “We can make some changes, and I’ll have my private chambers expanded. You can be in command of the entire project from start to finish. Whatever it takes to make you happy I promise we’ll get it done.”

   “It’s not the accommodations I’m worried about. We need to be honest with each other. Zebul is an evil place. I have been redeemed and cannot just turn a blind eye to what is really going on down there. To raise Raum in such an environment would go against everything I believe.” 

   “Amelia please try to be reasonable and look at this from my perspective. I know Zebul isn’t your favorite place, but we need to think about your safety. There will undoubtedly be other attempts.” 

    I wasn’t trying to be difficult but I did start to take on a sharper tone, and it wasn’t well received by Amelia. She quickly replied with a sharper tone of her own. 

   “If you were really serious about Raum’s safety and truly making me happy, then we wouldn’t be discussing Zebul as our home.”

   “I’ll not have Raum put at risk for the sake of convenience, and I’ll not be patronized by a human…not even you!” 

   Soon as the words left my lips, I knew I’d gone way over the line. I had no idea just how much damage those words would ultimately cause. Amelia immediately stopped talking and slowly got to her feet. She walked over to me and without another word she took Raum out of my arms. She picked up the baby bag and started out the door. She turned around so that she could look directly at me and then called to Vetis. 

   “Vetis, please escort this human and her son down to Zebul. I was wondering when the real Legion would finally show up, and it looks like he has. It‘s nice to know where I really stand with your master.” 

   Her words were cold and flat with no hint of any emotion. I then realized I’d just made a huge mistake with her but my immortal pride kicked in, and I was too proud to admit it.