Chapter 9 - Lovers Content

Stephen and I sat wrapped in a blanket in front of a cozy campfire in a little meadow watching the sun set over the beautiful St. Francois Mountain Range. Our favorite spot was nestled in a remote wooded area high above the little town of Caledonia Missouri.

It was still cold in March but today the sun was warm, and the fire kept us both comfortable inside the blanket. I leaned back against Stephen's chest and let out a loud sigh.

I knew our time together was once again coming to an end. We had always kept our romance low key because of our immortal parents, but it was becoming tougher every day. We had been seeing each other off and on since our early teens, but the last year had become very intense. We were both in our early twenties now, but I was older than Stephen by a few months. All our friends used to laugh about me being the ‘Older Woman’. Our personalities were completely different, like vinegar and water. We were total opposites but yet drawn together by our love for each other.

I finally turned around and looked into his eyes wishing there was some way for us to stay together. Stephen was obviously thinking the same thing because he gently kissed me on the lips.

"This is totally unfair." I whispered. "Why do you have to go back to Metigo so soon?"

“Leah…You know the answer before even asking me that question. My time as lead warrior for the Citadel's defensive force is over, and I’m due to report back to Metigo on Monday.”

 “I just can’t stand being away from you anymore.” I whispered again while nuzzling him on the neck. “You know how much I love you.”

Stephen pulled back away from me, so he could stare directly into my eyes.

“I never get tired of hearing you say those words to me. I love you too...but you’ve known that for years.” A sly smile ran across my face as he continued. “I’ve loved you since we were thirteen-years-old.