four

the next morning i had a text from nate say that'd he be over at my house and eleven with breakfast. 

i furrow my eyebrows, kind of an odd thing. i checked the time it was ten thirty, he'd be over soon. he never came early, he always came out durning the late afternoon. 

i crawled out of bed and decided to make myself a little presentable. it's just nate, who am i trying to impress? 

i heard my phone ding. it was a text from nate: i'm outside :) 

i crept down the stairs, like usual my dad was on the couch watching the morning news with a cup of coffee in his hand. 

"where are you going this early?" he asked me. 

"i'm uh meeting a friend." i shrugged. 

"a friend?" he raised his eyebrow. "but i thought dana didn't get back into town until tomorrow."

i rocked on my heels. "it's not dana, it's someone else." i wasn't planning on giving him any details about my 'friend'.

his face furrowed in confusion. he opened his mouth to say more before i cut him off. 

"look, i really gotta go dad, i'll see you later." i smiled and waved goodbye, rushing out the door. 

i see nate in his car, looking down on his phone. i smiled and jogged up to the passenger side. he must of heard me because he looked up. 

"' bout damn time." he said dramatically. "i was about to eat all of these donuts by myself." i looked down and noticed the box of treats in the seat. "get in."

i furrow my eyebrows with a smile, but don't oblige.  i grabbed a chocolate donut once i'm settled in. i looked over and saw nate staring at me. 

"what?" i asked with a mouthful of donut. 

"nothing." he shook his head, laughing. "mj, would usually go for the strawberry donuts." he smiled. 

i nodded. for a second i actually forgot that our friendship was based on his dead girlfriend. wow, that sounds like such a terrible thing to say. 

"sorry." he sighed. "i know it gets kinda awkward when i talk about mary." 

i swallowed my food and shook it's head. "no it's okay. that's what i'm here for right? you call me when you need to vent."

i saw a look in his eyes that i couldn't quite identify. 

"yeah, right." he said a little hesitantly. 

i ignored it and continued to eat my donut. nate started up his car again and started to drive. "where are we going?"

"you just moved here right?" he looked over at me. i nodded. "well, i know i just met you and all but i've kinda figured out that you don't do shit." he laughed. 

my jaw dropped and punched him in his arm. i knew it probably wouldn't affect him but still. our laughter filled up the car.

"what? every time i text you, you're always home." he cheesed 

"maybe because i have nothing to do." i folded my arms. 

"which is why I'm showing you around. so eat your donuts and sit today, because today is gonna be a nate and mia adventure day." he winked at me.