fourteen

"thanks for meeting me, mia." nate said to me when i decided to finally call him up even though it took me a day just to work the nerve up to hit his contact. 

i nodded. "sure." we decided to meet at starbucks since it was close. 

"i'm sorry you had to see that the other day." he shook his head. "i was just," nate sighed. "i don't know."

"look nate," i sat up straight in my seat. "you don't have to apologize or explain yourself, it's no big deal."

"but i feel like i hurt you." he looked at me. "i saw the way you ran from me-"

"because i was shocked and a little embarrassed." i chuckled, trying to get out of this conversation.

"no." nate shook his head. "it's bigger than that mia and you know it." 

"why are you so set on apologizing to me? it's not like i'm your mom who just caught you." i laughed again. "and i'm not your girlfriend."

nate pressed his lips together as he nodded. "yeah, i know." there was a bit of silence. "but it feels like you are." he mumbled the last part. 

"what?" i didnt hear him. 

"nothing." he shook his head. "i just don't want you too think i'm like that.. all the time."

i scoff. "all the time?"

nate shrugged, "i mean from time to time i fuck a girl and kick her out."

i narrow my eyes at him. "and you think that's okay?" he shrugs. "you're unbelievable. i was wrong about you." i roll my eyes and stand up. 

nate stands up with me and grabs my arm before i could move. "what did you think about me?"

i shrug, "i just thought you were different, nate. the way you talked about mary jane was so beautiful, but you still treat women like objects."

"just because i like to fuck doesnt mean i don't respect woman." he said through gritted teeth, his grip getting a little tighter. 

"i never said that." i quickly shake him off before he could hurt me any further. 

"mia..." he sighed. 

"no, nate. i listened, we talked." i put my hand up to keep him from coming any further. "i don't think we should talk anymore." i say quietly. 

"what?" he furrowed his eyebrows. 

"we're only friends because of mary jane, right? and i think you're finally capable of moving on by yourself; you don't need me."

nate shook his head quickly. "no, mia that's not it-"

"yes it is." i interrupt him. "it's okay. we're different people and i don't think we were supposed to cross paths."

"that's a load of bullshit mia

"that's a load of bullshit mia." he dissed me. 

i shook my head, "i really hope you find some girl that loved you as much as mary jane did." i reach across and touch his arm, comfortingly. "see you around, skate." i lean up and kiss his cheek, walking out of the starbucks. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

short chapter i know once again i'm sorry

but here's a double update :))

stupid mia tho, and no the book is not over.. yet 

;)

-kacey