twelve

"wait, so he just up and changed the locks? for real?" dana asked, marrying sure that she heard correctly. 

"yes, dana." i sighed, "he changed the locks on me."

"wow." she breathed out. "what about nate? have you told him?" 

i groaned, pacing my room back and forth. "no, what am i supposed to say? my dad really hates you and will do anything to keep me from seeing you?" i sighed. 

"guess not." dana said quietly. "you must really like nate, huh?" she said after a moment of silence. 

i shrugged even though i knew she couldn't see me. "i haven't really known him long but i really enjoy his company." i smiled to myself. 

"mia, i think you're in love with nate." i could tell she was smirking. 

"woah, dana; too fast." i laughed, dismissing the idea. 

"okay maybe not in love," dana chuckled. "but you sure do have feelings for him. i mean come on, what girl would go through this much trouble for a guy she didn't like?"

i shrugged, not knowing how to answer that. 

"and it's obvious that nate likes you mia," i quickly tell her no. "come on mia, you're really smart how come you don't see it? the fact that his friends call you to help him the other night or the way he keeps you around. that boy's crazy about you mimi." 

i smile. nate liking me? it seemed crazy- impossible even; but there was only thing that clearly stood in the way. "but what about mary jane? its obvious he's not over her, i don't want to come in between that."

"it's been like what two, years? nate just needed to find the person to move on with- and i think it's you." wow, dana should've been nate's therapist instead of me. 

"i don't know..." i sigh, even though i'm smiling. 

"i want to meet him." dana blurted. 

"and how are you going to do that?" i ask. "i can't leave this house for god knows how long." i sigh. 

"don't worry, i'll come up with a plan." 

i opened my mouth to answer but a knock on my door interrupted me. i turned my heard towards that direction seeing my dad come in. 

"mia, shouldn't you be studying?" he asked me. 

i groan, "dad it's summer." i frown at him.

he shrugged. "that never stopped you before." 

i sighed and turned my attention back to my phone. "dana, i'll you later." she muttered a bye before i hung up. 

"good girl." dad flashed me a smile that made me want to roll my eyes then left my room. 

-

 dana called me two days later, surprising me with her crazy idea about how to sneak me out the house to meet nate: she told my dad that she needed help with her essay to get in this really prestigious club for young women that her mom really wanted her to join, and she asked if i could go to her house to help her write it. oddly, my dad believed it and told me i should join myself. 

"it worked!" dana laughed ecstatically when i reached her house. she was just as surprised when her crazy plan did actually work. 

"get in, we're gonna head to nate's." i laugh at her. i pull out my phone and sent nate a text telling him that'll i'm going to be at his house in a few minutes and that dana was with me. 

"so, does nate have any cute friends?" dana wiggled her eyebrows at me. 

i laugh, nodding. "a ton of them. it's hard being in a room with all of them at once."