Chapter 1

"That's not fair! He's using telekinesis!" Dex yelled from across the forest. "All is fair in base quest and war, my friend." Tam said from the other side. "Both of you be quiet before you reveal your location." Sophie giggled. She, Tam, Linh, Fitz, Dex and Biana were playing base quest with three teams. Sophie and Fitz were on one team, covering the forest nearest to Tam and Linh's house. Dex and Biana were covering the forest closer to the cliffs. Tam and Linh were protecting their base in the middle of the forest. That was far as she knew.

Did you find Tam's location?, Fitz thought.

Sophie nearly fell off the branch that she and Fitz were sitting on.

Did I scare you?

No!, she replied.

I know when you're lying.

Yes.

Sorry.

It's OK.

So did you get it yet?

Yeah, near that large tree with the purple leaves on it.

Got it. So should I go after him and cause a distraction while you go sneak up on Linh. Or should you do it?

You should. You know Tam could catch me faster than Biana pinning you down.

Fitz laughed. "Yeah not like you can turn invisible or maybe even teleport to their location." "But we made a promise not to use our abilities." Sophie replied. "Tam is using shadow-vapor to scan the forest. Dex is using an invention to keep him and Biana away from us. Biana is vanishing and Linh built a moat around their base." Fitz looked at Sophie with a look that said Come on!. "Wait how did you know?" Sophie glared at him. Fitz looked away. "I might have snuck into their minds."

"You did what?!" Sophie yelled. "I didn't go reading their thoughts or anything. I actually don't know what I did. First I was looking at Dex and Biana sneaking around the tree, next thing you know I could see what Dex was seeing. Maybe it's a trick that Mr. Forkle taught me a while ago and I didn't remember it." Fitz kept looking in the direction of Tam's tree. He closed his eyes. "It's like I'm floating in his head. I can't hear any thoughts but I can hear the crunching of leaves, Biana's breathing and the hum of a small machine. I can see what he's seeing, breathe what he's breathing. You get it?" Fitz opened his eyes and looked at Sophie. Sophie felt her cheeks burn and she covered her face with her hair. She heard Fitz laughing and loomed up to see him smiling at her. He looked back I'm the direction of the tree and smirked. "Speaking of, looks like Dex and Biana got caught in the shadow trap."

"We should go now. Tam and Linh are probably getting suspicious that we haven't tried to get to their base." Fitz said with pleading eyes. Sophie sighed "OK. But I want you to run far ahead of me. Also make a sharp left turn at the tree with the pink leaves on it. Dex set up a trap there." Sophie smiled. Fitz smiled back. "Aren't you the little sneak? OK, so I'll jump down from the tree, ahead straight towards Tam and use my telekinesis to throw him off and you will teleport behind Linh and tag her base. Got it?" Fitz got into a position to jump. "Got it." Sophie stood on the branch and looked down. That was a long fall. If she didn't teleport, she would be a Sophie pancake. "See you on the winner's side." Fitz waved and jumped down.

Sophie covered her mouth and watched as he stopped his levitation to slow the fall and land on his feet. He gave Sophie a thumbs up and sped off into the forest. Sophie followed his path until he was far enough ahead of her. Then jumped off the branch.

Sophie willed herself not to scream as the solid ground came closer. She put her hands on her temples and closed her eyes. Thunder rumbled, a crack appeared and she fell through it. She floated around in the void for a little bit. Trying to think of how she was going to get near the tree without Linh dumped gallons of water on her head.

Hey, are you ok?, Fitz thought. Sophie yelped and put her focus back onto the plan.

I see you're just floating around there. Don't start backing out now. I'm almost near Tam and I think he can sense me.

Don't worry. I'm just thinking of how I'm going to get to the base, she replied.

Ok, see you there, Fitz answered.

Sophie concentrated on images of Linh from her memory. Her long black hair with silver bangs representing her rebel to her father. Her perfect smile. Her soft blue eyes. The kind look always on her face. Sophie put the images in front of her and teleported.