Chapter 4

"So you mean to tell us that the Neverseen are here and they're the ones who caused Biana's incident?" Linh said as she bandaged the gash on Fitz's arm.

Sophie nodded. After she and Tam spotted the Neverseen, Tam carried Sophie back to his house because she was too shocked to try and stand up again. Now Elwin was giving Sophie some medicine to help her headache. "How's Biana?" She asked as Elwin tried to hand her a sedative. She pushed it away. "She'll be alright. Bullhorn isn't on her anymore. She did lose a significant amount of blood but she'll heal up and be ready to move in about four days." Elwin put the sedative in Sophie's hands and put the back of his hand on her forehead.

Sophie sighed and closed her eyes. She, Biana, Dex, Linh and Tam were supposed to return to school to start level three in two days. Since Linh and Tam were going to be new to Foxfire, Biana had volunteered to be their guide. Since Biana was hurt now either she or Dex had to guide them.

"Me and Linh are going to go put up traps around the area. Just in case those Never-freaks try to attack anytime soon." Tam nodded towards Linh. Linh rubbed Fitz's head and got up to with Tam. Sophie felt the sadness that radiated itself off of Fitz and sent him images of Silveny and Iggy goofing off to make him feel better. She saw as he cracked a little smile then it went back to a deep scowl.

She'll be ok. I promise. Sophie thought.

Fitz looked towards Sophie and nodded.

"I'm going to go hail Grady and Edaline and ask if I can stay here with Biana for the night." Sophie set the sedative down on the table in front of her and started to get up but Dex tugged on her shirt sleeve. Sophie looked down and saw Dex had a blank look in his eyes. "What is it?" "I want to stay too. Tell Edaline to tell my parents. The triplets get sad when I'm not there." Sophie nodded and Dex released his grip on her sleeve. Sophie looked over and saw that Fitz had already gotten out his imparter. Looks like they're all staying together.

Sophie went outside to hail her parents. She could hear Sandor pacing in the background as Sophie told them the whole story. By the end of the explanation, Edaline seemed to be on the verge of tears but Grady seemed shocked. "The Neverseen did that to her." Grady said quietly. "Yeah. And I think they're planning something. Me and Tam bumped into them in the forest near his house but Tam was able to cloak us and keep us from being seen." She looked on as Grady and Edaline seemed to have a quiet argument with each other. Edaline sighed.

"We're sending Sandor to you with some of your stuff. I'll get him to go to Dex's and Fitz's parents so he can get them some clothes too." Edaline turned the imparter closer to her so Grady couldn't be seen. "And Sophie, be careful. Use your strengths and protect your friends." Sophie nodded in agreement and Edaline smiled. "I love you. Grady wants me to say he loves you more." Sophie smiled back.
"I love you guys too." "See you soon, Sophie. Come back to us." "I promise I will." Edaline's face disappeared from the screen and Sophie let the imparter fall back to its place on her collarbone.

"What are we going to do?" Fitz said. Sophie jumped and turned around. She saw Fitz leaning against one of the walls, his teal blue eyes glistening in the afternoon sun. "Did I scare you?" Sophie shook her head furiously but her trembling figure and her right hand over her heart gave it away. Fitz smirked and stuck his hands into his pockets. Sophie looked at his right arm. The sleeve was rolled up, showing perfectly tanned skin until it reached the bandage that started in the middle of his forearm and ended near his wrist. Fitz seemed to notice that she was looking and mentally rolled his sleeve down. Sophie was still amazed by his level of control with his telekinesis. If only she had that level, she could have--

"Stop. I know what you're thinking. You want my level of control but you already have it. You just need to find some way to unlock it." "H-how did you-u unl-l-lock yours t-then?" Sophie stammered, still trying to recompose her. Fitz locked eyes with her and she felt something hot at the back of her head. Then pain exploded near the corner of her left eye.

She screamed and fell to her knees, clutching the left side of her face. It felt as if someone was slowly pouring acid on it. She cried and screamed. She tried to send out a message but something was blocking her. She fell over and huddled into a fetal position, crying as she dug her nails into her left cheek. She had to stop this pain. She was about to scream again but the pain suddenly left, leaving her broken and vulnerable. She closed her eyes and brought her knees to her face. She whimpered quietly, trying to figure out what just happened. She barely heard the incoming footsteps but felt someone tap her right cheek. She lifted her head, opened her eyes and saw Fitz standing above her, the sparkle of his teal eyes were gone replaced by something darker. "Pain. Pain is what unlocked mine. Maybe it will unlock yours too." Fitz used his telekinesis to lift Sophie to her feet and lead her back to the house, with a million questions running through her head.

Sandor arrived in the late evening and left Sophie with all stuff so he could go protect the perimeter of the house. Everyone else was preparing for the worst. Dex made four more suckerpunches for everyone. Tam was setting up shadow traps around the house and Linh was doing something in the kitchen with gallons of water. Fitz was practicing his self defense moves that he learned from his mom in the hallway. His movements were fast and deadly but he seemed stiff as he did them. Ever since this afternoon Sophie had been avoiding him but she wanted answers to how he caused her agonizing pain. She walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. Fitz stopped in mid punch and turned towards her.

"What is it?" He said in an annoyed tone. Her instincts were telling her to run and she straightened up and looked Fitz dead in the eyes.

"How did you do that thing? With my head? How? "

"It was something Mr. Forkle must have taught me. I actually didn't mean to hurt you or anything. But I wanted to show you what I went through in a way. I just didn't think that would happened."

"There's no way Mr. Forkle could have taught you something so dark and twisted. "

"At least he didn't give me any Shade abilites. "

I heard that.

Sophie looked to the ground to see a long shadow crossing over her and Fitz's shadows. She looked up and saw Tam smirking in the window. She waved him off and turned back to Fitz but he was already laying down in front of the spare bedroom door. Sophie walked towards the door and stepped around him. She opened the door, turned back and muttered good night to Fitz and shut the door in his face. She laid in the bed next to Biana and turned away from her, not wanting to see the paleness of her friend. Sophie shut her eyes and dreamed of hooded figures, tree branches, and broken minds.

Sophie was awakened by quiet talking. She opened one eye and saw that two black cloaked figures were on either side of her. She screamed and the figures instantly held down her arms and legs. Sophie keep screaming and she could heard pounding at the bedroom door. "Hurry up before they break down the door and grab the other girl too." The cloaked figure on her right said. Sophie started to kick and thrash but a heavy aroma filled her nose.

No!

It was the same sedative Elwin had given her earlier the day.

She felt as her movements turned sluggish and her eyes fluttered. "Come on Moonlark. That's it. Go back to sleep it all be all over for you soon." The figure said just as the sedative made its way into her brain, causing her whole body to go limp. Before her eyes shut, she spotted the regal brown, wavy hair of her kidnapper. She recognized that hair style instantly. She would have gasped but it was too late. The Neverseen had made their move and they were going to drag Biana down with her. Darkness flooded her vision and once again she was drowning in it.