Chapter 13

"Remind me why this is a food again?" Tam said as he ate, more like shoved, the green goo that Elwin recommended him to eat everyday during lunch.

Elwin had taken Tam in his office nearly every day to check on his injury but it had completely disappeared as if it never happened.

"At least you don't have to eat this." Dex groaned, pointing to his baby pink goo. When Sophie asked to try both foods, she nearly threw up right there and then. Together they tasted like dirty socks mixed with cinnamon and wrapped with burnt bacon and banana peels. It was just horrible.

"Stop complaining about your food and be happy that we get to eat." Fitz said with a mouthful of blue goo.

"Says you. At least you get to bring food from home." Dex muttered.

"Can you guys be quiet and enjoy this peaceful day?" Biana rolled her eyes as she fiddled with her hair clip.

It was a pale gray flower with little teal berries that matched her eyes. It blended perfectly with her chocolate brown hair and made her look stunning.

"So do you guys have anything to tell us about what happened last week?" Fitz had finished all his lunch and put his elbows on the tables, looking at Tam, Linh, Biana and Sophie.

A week had already passed since they confronted Keefe in the Forbidden Cities. No one has seen him since then and Sophie thought the Neverseen was responsible for that.

"We already told you everything, like five times." Linh smirked and Sophie noticed a hint of red go onto Fitz's cheeks. She smirked and sent him an image of him and Linh holding hands.

Fitz did a spittake of his water and sent her a death glare as his face turned as red as Mr. Snuggles, his stuffed animal.

Sophie smiled as he turned back and stared at Tam, who was now drenched in water.

Everyone around them stopped talking and looked over at their table, which now had a cold presence.

"Good thing you're my friend, Vacker." Tam said and took a napkin from Linh's plate to wipe his face.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it! Sophie sent me an image of Linh and--" Fitz quickly said but Tam put his hand up to stop him.

"What was that about Linh?" He said coldly, looking over at Sophie. Sophie turned away quickly though she could feel Tam's glare burning a hole through her head.

"I-I have to go to the bathroom." Sophie stuttered and quickly got up from her seat. She felt something tug her back and she looked down to see her shadow being grabbed by Tam's hand under the table.

Stay, he whispered.

She shrugged his hand off and hurried walked out the door before he could do anymore Shade tricks.

------------

Dex groaned loudly as they entered the gym.

"Why do have we do this again?" Dex said.

"I thought you like splotching matches." Sophie grinned as she set her hair into a short ponytail and loosened her new registry pendant around her neck.

"I do but I'm too tired to get hit in the face with a splotcher right now."

"Aren't we all?" Biana said as she jogged over to Dex and Sophie. Sophie didn't know what it was but Biana could even make a gym uniform look good.

The hairclip that she had on was now a small ankle bracelet and her brown hair pulled back into a messy bun.

"Who's ready to get splotched?" Biana spun around and vanished for a bit as she did.