Chapter Eight: Song of the Mersisters ("She's in Love")

"I'm talking about Ariel, that's who!" said Allana, swimming after the six sisters with urgency, her yellow-greenish tail pushing her along.
"What about her?" scoffed Adella, turning back to face Allana.
"She sure has been acting fishy lately," retaliated Allana.
"I'll say!" said Aquata, bursting between the two, excitement painted on her face. "Swimming in circles, chasing her tail..."
"That girl is up to her gills in something!" She and the others began to sing.
"She's dizzy and she's dreamy," sang Allana.
"Her head's up in the foam," sang Aquata.
"Her eyes have gone all gleamy, it's like there's no one home," sang Attina.
"She floats away the days, moping on the coastal shelf," sang all three.
"Is she ill?" sang Aquata.
"Or insane?" sang Attina.
"Is it water on the brain?" sang Allana.
All three sang again. "What has got her bothered so?"
"It's the bends!" sang Andrina.
"It's the flu!" sang Adella.
"Gosh, I wish we had a clue!" sang Arista.
All six began to sing, as they realized for the second time, "Oh, wait! Oh, dear! Good grief! It's clear! She's in love! She's in love! Pounding heart! Ringing bells!" Just then, Ariel swam by, humming a tune to herself, and twirling around dreamily.
Allana pointed to her. "Look, I think she's even wearing brand new shells!"
Andrina, Arista, and Adella sang, "She's in love!"
Aquata, Attina, and Allana sang, "In love, and it's divine!"
"She's in love!"
"That girl's on sandbar nine!"
All joined together and sang, "Glory be! Lord above! Got to be she's in love!"
Suddenly, Flounder came in, looking for Ariel.
"Hey, Flounder!" called Arista, dragging Flounder over to where the mersisters were floating. "Notice anything weird lately about you-know-who?"
"You mean Ariel?" asked Flounder. "I'll say!" The sisters leaned intently towards Flounder, eager to hear what he had to say.
Flounder also began to sing.
"She acts like she don't see me!" All the sisters gasped. "She doesn't even speak!" The sisters looked at him with concern. "She treats me like sashimi left over from last week! You see her late at night, tossin' in her ocean bed."
"Shoop, shoop! Shoop, shoop!" sang the mersisters in a perfect three-part harmony, to the tune of a sixties pop song.
"And she sighs, and she swoons!" sang Flounder. "And she's hummin' little tunes!"
"Even has a sort of glow!" sang the sisters.
"What on earth could it be?" sang Flounder.
"Any hammerhead could see!" sang the sisters.
"That sigh!" sang Adella and Allana.
"That glow!" sang Arista and Aquata.
"That swoon!" sang Attina and Andrina.
"Oh, no!" said Flounder. "She's in love!" sang Flounder.
"She's flipped, it never fails!" sang the sisters in two-part harmony.
"She's in love!"
"All hot beneath her scales!"
"See her hips, how they swish!"
"Well-a, well-a, well, don't you wonder who's the lucky seafood dish?" sang the sisters, leaning in towards Flounder in hopes that he might know.
Flounder and the sisters then broke into dance.
"She's in love!" sang Flounder.
"She's found a deep sea hunk!" sang the sisters.
"She's in love!"
"And now she's as good as sunk!"
"See her blush!" sang Flounder.
The sisters joined him, in three-part harmony, and sang. "See her grin!"
Then, the sisters sang by themselves, in unison, "Got to be love she's in!"
Flounder continued as a solo. "Ariel and someone, swimmin' in the sea! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"
"She's in love!" sang Attina, Aquata, and Allana.
"She's in love!" sang Andrina, Arista, and Adella.
"She's! In! Love!" shouted Flounder and all the mersisters together.
They all sang together in harmony, "She's in love! She's in love!"
"Plain to see!" sang Flounder.
The sisters echoed. "Plain to see!"
"No mistake!"
"No mistake!"
"Look at those moonbeams in her wake!"
"Look at those moonbeams!"
They all began to sing together. "Obvious what they must be symptoms of; she's in love! She's in love! She's in love! Yeah, yeah!"
King Triton entered in, just in time to see Flounder and the sisters bring the song to an end.
"In love?" asked Triton. "My little Ariel! So that explains it!"
All the sisters hurried out as their father entered, and Flounder attempted to do the same, but was caught.
"Just a minute there, Flounder," said Triton.
Flounder paused, and then he turned back slightly. "Who, me?"
"You know Ariel as well as anyone," said Triton. "Who's the lucky merman?"
"Gee, I don't know," said Flounder sheepishly. "I didn't even know it was love until the second chorus!" And, with that, he hurried out of the room.
He floated there, thinking to himself. If anyone would know, thought King Triton, it would probably be Sebastian.

The Voice, The Witch, and the Dark Lordजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें