The Freeway

"Three months ago, the savage mammal case was presumably solved by the very first rabbit police officer, Judy Hopps, with the help of Nicholas Wilde, a fox who joined the force shortly thereafter. However, just three hours ago, another savage attack took place in the Tundra Town district of Zootopia, resulting in five mammals sustaining a range of minor to severe injuries. Fortunately, there are no fatalities to report at this time."

  The news report transitioned to witness testimonies. A broad elk appeared on the screen, being asked questions about what he saw. He looked overwhelmed and scared, as if he still didn't know what exactly had happened. "I- I didn't get a very good look. The only thing I could tell for sure was that they were a bear, but they didn't act like any bear I'd ever met, and they weren't wearing clothes either. They ran on all fours, snarling and growling like it was the stone age again or something. They just ran around, clawing anyone who got in their way, but as quickly as they had shown up, they were gone. Ran off into the woods. That's all I know."

  The leopard news reporter popped back onto the screen. "Judy Hopps was asked about the events that took place tonight, and this is what she had to say on the matter."

  An earlier video of Judy answering questions on a podium was shown. "Was the animal a savage like the ones cured three months ago?" a well-dressed squirrel from the press asked. Judy looked tired and stressed over the issue. "We believe so, but we don't have enough information to confirm that at this time."

  Another reporter stepped up. This time a sheep. "What do you make of the situation? Can we feel safe around predators?"

  Judy sighed in frustration. "Listen, we may not have all of the facts yet, but it is as I said before. If this has any connection to the attacks from three months ago, then anybody could go savage. Predators and prey alike. Biology does not factor in."

  As Judy continued to answer their questions, my mouth hung open. I didn't know what to think. Had someone harvested more night howlers? Maybe somebody wanted to continue on with Bellwether's original plan themselves. I had a lot of questions in my head, but I didn't know how to get them answered. I looked down at Finnick, who was staring at me. "What's goin on around here, Nick?"

  "Does it look like I know?"

  The news cut back to the reporter. "Attempts were made to contact Nicholas P. Wilde for comment a short while ago, but authorities were unable to locate him."

  Suddenly there was another knock on my door. "Who's that? The cops?" Finnick asked, suddenly on edge.

  "I'm a cop, you idiot. Besides, if it is, it's just one. Wait here," I said, getting up to see who was out front. I opened the door, and there in front of me was the familiar bunny rabbit I had just seen on the news. "Carrots! What are you doing here?"

  Judy looked up at me, breathing a sigh of relief. "I've been looking seven ways to Sunday for you."

  "Why? Because you just now figured out I gave the department a fake address?"

  "Hah, Bogo's going to have something to say about that, and you know darn well why I'm here."

  "No, I really don't."

  "Yes you do," Judy shoved past me into my house.

  "Hey, that's trespassing you know," I said, not wanting her to see the junkyard that was my home. She didn't seem to care though as she walked straight into my room and started fumbling through my messy closet. She came out empty, having not found whatever she was looking for. "You don't have a jacket?" she asked.

  "Never needed one before."

  She shook her head. "That's fine, I've got one in the cruiser you can wear."