Turning the Tables

[Nick]

The rain seemed to pour harder than ever in my moment of loneliness. I had to find Judy somehow. Whether she was dead or alive I had no way to know. I trudged through mud and running water to find a way back up to the top of the hill where I had last seen her. Just as I was coming up to a trail where I could though, I saw bright headlights pass by, radiating light through the downpour of water, then the taillights as they drove away. Government vehicles. I kept walking in the direction they had come from and saw a silhouette standing alone in the rain. As I got closer, I began to make it out to be a bunny. "Judy?"

She turned in surprise. "Nick!" she exclaimed, limping my way. We met, and she threw her arms around me. I hesitated, surprised as well, but let my arms settle around her too.

"Nick... I thought you were-"

"Me too, Carrots. Me too."

"How did you survive?" she asked, still holding me tight.

I thought for a moment. "It's... complicated."

"Goodness I'm glad you're alive," she remarked.

I chuckled, "It'll take a little more than that to bring down Nick Wilde. What happened to you?"

"I was still being chased, so I jumped into the ravine to escape. I was almost a goner when I got pulled out and onto solid ground. Then..." she trailed off. "They took him..."

"Took who?" I asked, not understanding.

"Luke. They took him away," she said despairingly.

I let go of her, unable to believe what I heard. "What do you mean? Luke was here?"

"Yes. I was about to drown when he saved me, then the ZIA came out of nowhere, and... I tried to stop them, but there was nothing I could do."

I ran both paws through my fur, forcing my ears down behind my head in disbelief and dread. "Oh no... No, no, no," I tried to convince myself it wasn't true, that it could have been someone else.

"Nick, I'm so sorry," she said empathetically.

I sat down on a nearby log next to me, still holding my paws to my head. "I promised him. I promised him I'd get him back home, and now he's gone."

"No, he's not. Not yet," Judy contradicted me.

I looked up at her. "You know where they would have taken him. Don't you?"

She nodded her head solemnly. "You're not gonna like it."

"Try me," I challenged.

She closed her eyes and sighed, obviously not liking it herself. "It's a government facility in Tundra Town."

"Well then what are we waiting for? Let's go," I declared, standing up and starting back toward the streets.

"Nick, wait."

I stopped. "What, Judy? Our friend is being taken to some lab to be probed by egg-heads and you wanna wait around? Not me."

"No, I'm not suggesting that," she defended herself. "It's just not as simple as waltzing on in and grabbing him. This is a high security government lab we're talking about. Armed guards, security codes, alarms, cameras. If you think it's going to be anything like Lionheart's lab was, prepare to be disappointed."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Well we have to do something. If anything happened to Luke..." I shook my head and started trying to think of any possible course of action we could take. Then my eyes raised to meet Judy's. "Do you know the layout of the facility? Where they might keep him?"