Prologue

Giselle

      I was on my way out to meet my best friend that day two years ago

      I was on my way out to meet my best friend that day two years ago. Things went as usual and I went to Starbucks to pick up our frappes then head to our meeting spot at our school, THE school in New York and it wasn't NYU. It was Juilliard and I loved that I was going and got into that school. With my bestie there too, I was lucky to not be going through this amazing journey alone and we were about to graduate.

      That day he had something to tell me right before our dance final and on my way to hear his announcement, I forgot my CD! I raced to my apartment, since it was a block away, and got back just in time and see him leaving. "Maurice," I yell out calling his nickname to cause him to walk my way. "You just don't know how to be on time do you?" "I actually WAS this time but I forgot this thank you," I reply holding the CD in my hand and handing him his frappe in the other.

      "Yeah ok. You're lucky I have something really important to tell you and I was headed to your place so I could then drag your ass down here!" "Ok Chris you wasn't gonna do shit but go to our dance class without me!" "Giselle I'm not playing!" "Uh huh! But anyway, what is it that's so important?" "You remember how I went with my mom and Tina to meet with Jive records?" That caused me to smile but he didn't smile back so I went back to my blank face. "Yeah... What about it?" "I ummm... I..."

      "Damn, you didn't get signed did you? I told you which demo to bring nigga and you must've gave them the one I said NOT to bring!" "Giselle Marie Sullivan calm the fuck down ok! I got your ass again!" Then my smile came back and it was obvious he was hiding his. "Hold the fuck up! Don't be putting my government out there like that for one, and two, are you saying..." "Yes! You're looking at the newest member of the Jive team: Chris Brown."

      "Ahhhhhhhh! I knew it," I squeal as I jump on him to give him a hug. "I know; thanks for talking me into meeting with them." I jump down then look at him. "Hey you're my best friend and believe it or not, I believe in you even when you doubt yourself and your mom has to be as proud as I am or more." "She is... but that's the last thing on my mind..." "Really? What is on your mind then?" Suddenly he pulls me close and kisses me.

      "Maurice... what the hell-" And he cut me off by kissing me again. I was totally caught off guard but I can't say I didn't want to kiss him; I've had a crush on Chris since ninth grade and thought he didn't feel the same way so I'm confused. "Just hear me out aight?" "Fine." Next thing I know his friend Kevin who we call K-Mac started playing the piano for my best friend who began to sing:

      "{Spoken: [Sigh] Look... I know we've been friends for a while now; but I just feel like I can confess to you... It's gonna be hard but; here it goes...}

     Imagine that the pillow that you cried on was my chest and the tissue that you wiped your face with was my hand. Girl imagine: if you needed advise about some other guy; I'm the one that comes to mind. Not tryna hear you tell nobody that I'm just a friend. I'm just tryna to make sure I'm that body that you call your man and anytime you need a shoulder, it's yours, night or day. What I'm tryna say is, I wanna be...

     The last number you call late at night! (said I wanna be), The first one that you dial when you open your eyes...Wanna be the one you run to; wanna be the one that ain't gonna hurt you! I wanna be yeah, I wanna be yeah... Be the man making your girl jealous; be the guy shuttin' down all the fellas! Whatever you need, girl, it's all on me: your soldier, your friend or your lover; girl I wanna be...

     Would it be cool, would you mind if I called you my boo? What if the next whip you was pushin' was the one I bought for you? Can I be the one that meets your pops and take your mama shoppin', be the only one they like? Have you thought about it? WAIT! Really thought about it? Maybe you should take some time, call your girls, and talk about it. Yeah! I done already made up my mind and I don't need no more time to know if I wanna be with you. I wanna be...

      The last number you call late at night! (said I wanna be), The first one that you dial when you open your eyes...Wanna be the one you run to; wanna be the one that ain't gonna hurt you! I wanna be yeah, I wanna be yeah... Be the man making your girl jealous; be the guy shuttin' down all the fellas! Whatever you need, girl, it's all on me: your soldier, your friend or your lover; girl I wanna be...

      Put me on your screen saver, all over your MySpace and make me one of your top favorites, that's where I wanna be... The one you cryin' for (stand up for and fightin' for) I wanna be your good, bad, love, hate girl!
Cross my heart hope to die, on everything that's good, I'm gonna do you right, show you right, get this understood! Cross my heart hope to die, on everything that's good, I'm gonna do you right, show you right, get this understood! I wanna be yeah...

      The last number you call late at night! (said I wanna be), The first one that you dial when you open your eyes...Wanna be the one you run to; wanna be the one that ain't gonna hurt you! I wanna be yeah, I wanna be yeah... Be the man making your girl jealous; be the guy shuttin' down all the fellas! Whatever you need, girl, it's all on me: your soldier, your friend or your lover; girl I wanna be... Girl I wanna be... yours! I wanna be... yours! [sigh] I wanna be... I wanna be!"

      Everyone who was in the café with us watching, including K-Mac, was clapping and the tears couldn't stop falling from my eyes when he finished the song. "Chris... I don't know what to say," I manage to get out as he starts wiping my tears away. "Say you'll be my girl and come with me to Cali then." He then puts a CBE necklace around my neck which stood for 'Chris Brown Entertainment' and was similar to the chain he had.

      "Are you SERIOUS right now?!" "Dead ass serious Giselle. I can't imagine going through this with anyone else or hide my feelings any longer... So will you?" I smile harder than I ever have before then jump on Chris for the second time that day and kiss him. "Yes! A million times yes! Can I ask one question though?" "Anything Marie what's up?" "I get screensaver but MYSPACE Maurice?!"

      "Haha! I know babe, I know but I wrote that when that shit first came out so don't judge me!" "Babe... I could get used to that!" Now as I look back on that day, it's hard to believe how crazy famous he is and how things changed so quickly for him and I; but most of all US! How I got here I still can't understand but this is the story of the relationship between Chris Brown himself and I; and if it was destroyed forever.