Twelve

Tears streamed down my face as I ran out of the mansion through the back door.

I needed air. It had become suddenly suffocating in there while my mother explained to me how my brother was killed.

I raced towards the forest then stopped dead in my tracks. I was too scared to go in alone.

I dropped on my knees, my white sundress coming around me like a gown. I clung to the tree next to me, digging my nails in as I sobbed.

How could this happen? How could they let it happen?

Why didn't they tell me right away?!

I hugged the tree tighter and closed my eyes. My chest began to heave, I was hyperventilating. Suddenly everything went black.

NIKOLAI'S POV

I stood looking out my office window at the forest in the back as Mr. Russo explained everything. He sounded troubled and a hint of sorrow laced his voice.

I saw Emma come running out of the mansion in a rush, her hair covering her face.

She kept running to the forest and I thought she was gonna go to the garden and try get in, but instead she dropped to her knees.

She clung to a tree, her shoulders indicating she was crying. I felt a pain in my heart. Why was she crying? Suddenly she dropped to her side, her long sleeved sun dress covered in mud.

I immediately raced out of the room and down towards the back door. Her mother found me and ran up but I pushed past her and kept running.

I raced outside and made it to Emma, her small body shook, her breathing fast and panicked.

I picked her up bridal style and she seemed to calm down slightly.

I carried her back into the house and her mother gasped. I carried Emma up to the room and rested her in the bed. I pulled the cover over her and turned to her parents.

"Why is she upset?"
I asked heading to the bathroom. They didn't speak as I soaked a cloth in cold water. I brought it back out and put it over Emma's forehead.

"I'm her husband, I deserve to know!"
I demanded and Mrs. Russo squeezed her husbands hand. He sighed and turned to me.

"Her eldest brother, Antonio was murdered by the Swedish. He gave his life instead of her location. Anthony, Emma's last brother is going to be under protection so that we have a leader. Also so the Swedish wont know the location of Emma and take her, again."
Mr. Russo explained and I froze.

"Again?"
I asked and he nodded.
"She was only fifteen. The year you two stopped seeing each other. She was kidnapped and kept for two months before we could rescue her. They left their mark, physically and emotionally."
He replied and I stared at him.

He walked over and moved her head to the side and brushed the hair away. Behind her right ear, was the Swedish mafia sign.

EMMA'S POV
I could hear muffled voices, my eyes stayed closed and I pulled the wet cloth off my forehead. Why was I in bed? Then it all came back to me.

I began hyperventilating again, my eyes wide open. Nikolai raced over and sat down in front of me.

He held my hands and rubbed them. My breathing began to slow down and I  looked away.

"I know what happened."
He whispered and I nodded slightly.
"I also know about what happened when you were fifteen."
He muttered and I froze.

I looked at my parents and pulled my hands away from Nikolai. No, he couldn't know.

I told them to never speak of it again. I wanted that memory erased for good.

"Get out."
I whispered but everyone stayed still.
"Get out!"
I shouted and my parents scurried out but Nikolai stayed planted to the spot.

"Emma,"
"I don't want to talk about it. It was years ago. I'm fine."
"Your brother just died. I'm not gonna talk about what those fuckers did to you. I want to help you during your brothers loss."
He said and I looked up at him. Antonio.

Antonio was too kind. How could he be killed? He was kind and loving. His brown eyes beautiful, his hair always messy and his beard always trimmed. Big and muscular but always a goof. He didn't deserve this.

I realized I was in Nikolai's arms as he held me tightly. I sobbed into his shoulder as he muttered things to me, soothing me.

FEW DAYS LATER

Nikolai held my hand as the ashes were lowered into the ground. The tears silently flowed down my cheeks.

Anthony stood beside me sobbing loudly. Antonio was the Fred to his George. They were both huge goofballs.

I squeezed Nikolai's hand then let go. I wrapped my arms around Anthony's waist. I leaned my head against his chest and closed my eyes.

He hugged me tightly as we both sobbed, my parents joined in, on either side of Anthony and we all cried.

•*•*•*•*•

"My older brother was a goof. But he was also a leader, a brave and loyal man. H-he was everything I could ask for in a older brother. Of course Anthony is also."
The crowd chuckled at this.

"But Antonio, didn't deserve this. He deserved a long life filled with children and love. I will miss my brother. More than anyone will ever know."
I said then placed a handful of dirt over the locked box of ashes, his name carved in.

I stood next to Anthony and he squeezed my shoulder. Everyone threw a handful of dirt in then we all left, and the box was covered.

His marking was an angel, at the bottom was his name, birth and death dates.

I sat down on my knees in front of the angel and closed my eyes.
"Goodbye Antonio. I'll see you soon."
I whispered tears flowing. I got up and Nikolai stood there, his one hand still had a bit of dirt on it.

I grabbed his hand and we left with everyone else to go eat.

•*•*•*•*•

"Bye."
I whispered to my family as they left. Anthony hugged me tightly then left with my parents.

I slowly walked upstairs and into our bedroom.

I sat on the couch and stayed silent. I was cried out. I couldn't cry anymore. Nikolai sat next to me and side hugged me.

I rested my head on his shoulder and he sighed.
"How are you feeling?"
"Better."
I replied.
"Good."
He whispered and turned around so he was facing me.

He cupped my face and I stared up at him.
"I'm sorry this happened to you."
He whispered and I closed my eyes, pressing our foreheads together.

"So am I."
I replied quietly and he gently pressed his lips against mine. I hadn't kissed him in awhile.

He pulled his lips away and kept our foreheads together. I opened my eyes and stared into his.

He lightly brushed his thumb against my face and I sighed. I pulled his hands away from my face and seperated our foreheads.

I leaned against his chest and curled up to him. He wrapped his arms around me and we sat there, silently until I fell asleep.